Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Meyercord
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: AJ Meyercord

Replaced tape library - can't move archive media??!

Post by Meyercord »

I'm running Veeam B&R 8.0.0.2030

I recently had to replace my tape library and noticed that my media pools are linked to the old library hardware and cannot be moved to the new library. I spoke with support (Case # 01004213) and was told that it is not possible to move the media or the media pool and that if I delete the old library record it would remove the records for all my archived media.

I was told that the only way to associate the media with my new hardware is to physically request it back from the vault and re-catalog it with the new library, a process that takes several hours per tape, not to mention the time, cost and significant risk of bringing all my off-site backups back on site. If I ever replace my hardware again, I'll have to repeat the whole ordeal. :evil:

I find it unbelievable that over two years after the tape feature was released, this oversight still hasn't been addressed. I realize that Veeam is focused on virtual disk-only backups, but disk storage simply is not practical for long-term archiving and, until it is, tape will remain a necessity. As much as Veeam seems to wish otherwise, any enterprise backup software must support tape storage and must do so in a usable way.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Replaced tape library - can't move archive media??!

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Meyercord,
I recently had to replace my tape library and noticed that my media pools are linked to the old library hardware and cannot be moved to the new library.
Media pools are going to be detached from the libraries in the next version bringing lots of additional functionality. Kindly, take a look at this announcement (starting 2.20). Thanks.
Meyercord
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: AJ Meyercord

Post by Meyercord »

Thank you, I'm glad to see that this problem appears to be addressed in v9; but I hope that it will allow me to move my legacy media pools to new hardware and not only ones that are created in v9.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 2 people like this post

to move my legacy media pools
Yup. New global media pool is a complete replacement of the existing entity, so once upgraded you start using it out of the box :wink: