Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
chas0rde
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Notification if tape is required

Post by chas0rde »

Hello
is there a way to send an email notification if no more free tapes are available and a job requires additional tapes?

We use a larger tape lib and therefore do not monitor the amount of free tapes daily.
It would be useful to be warned if the Free pool gets low on tapes or a job is waiting for free tapes

The threshold for the warning should be defineable

Best regards
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Notification if tape is required

Post by PTide »

Hi,
is there a way to send an email notification if no more free tapes are available and a job requires additional tapes?
Actually backup server can send such notifications. What version do you use? Also please check if you have notifications enabled in "Advanced" job settings.
It would be useful to be warned if the Free pool gets low on tapes or a job is waiting for free tapes
Have you considered using pre/post job scripts in Advanced settings? I understand that it's not exactly what you've requested, but that might work if you have an idea of how many tapes your job uses on average - the script can run daily and check the amount of free tapes and send you an email in case the value gets too low.

Thank you.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Also, if you happen to have Veeam ONE deployed, take a look at report called Tape Media Retention Period, as it provides information regarding libraries, media pools created on them, including free ones, and tapes present inside those. Thanks.
chas0rde
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by chas0rde » 1 person likes this post

With v9 there is an option for "Waiting for tape" now in the notification area (also see post202659.html#p202659)
So this is basically fixed.

Forecast is not available but I can live with that for now as I now get a mail once no more tape is available and can exchange the written 50+ tapes then leaving me with enough tapes for a few weeks :)