Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
matai
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Just setup 2nd Nutanix cluster for backups

Post by matai »

Hey,

I just setup a 2nd Nutanix cluster to be used as a backup repository. It's a Nutanix 2400 with 2 6000 storage blocks.

I read through the latest Nutanix/Veeam Best Practices document but still have a question:

How should I setup the repository?

All I can find in the document regarding that the Veeam Repository Server is that it should be on a secondary Nutanix cluster. So could it just be a Windows Server? Or is there any best practice on how to setup the repository?

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Just setup 2nd Nutanix cluster for backups

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
Yes, it can be a Windows Server. Are are you going to use it as a primary or secondary repository? Onsite or offsite?
Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hmm, I don't really follow this scenario... why use Nutanix as a backup target?

Supposedly, Nutanix is designed to run your production VMs. I was under impression that it is very expensive, so probably it is an overkill to use one as a backup target?

This also adds additional level of unneeded complexity between you and your backups - and an extra technology to deal with, something else that can brake or start misbehaving. Follow the Occam's razor principle ;)

Finally, your backups are no longer easy to get to, as they are inside VM, inside Nutanix. Compare that with storing backups on a SAN LUN or a file share, that can be easily reconnected to any physical computer for emergency backup retrieval (even to your laptop!) should all your servers die.

Are you sure this is a good idea? Perhaps you could share some of your thoughts around that.
matai
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by matai »

Shestakov wrote:Hello,
Yes, it can be a Windows Server. Are are you going to use it as a primary or secondary repository? Onsite or offsite?
Thanks!
This is the primary onsite repository "landing zone"
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

As Anton said it would be "an expensive" backup repository that may potentially complicate your recovery process and increase your recovery time a lot - but answering your original question, Windows Server would be a preferred way of exposing this device to your backup jobs.