Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
bdoe
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Bryan

File to tape failure and autoloader

Post by bdoe »

I've been trying to backup roughly 4TB of data (200,000 files) to LTO-6 tapes. Each time, the job takes 8-10 hours and spans two tapes. It appears files are transferred correctly, and the tapes are shown as having x amount out of 2.4TB used, but the job ends in an error: Failed to export tape: Cannot to detect I/E ports. Veeam ONE also triggers an alert (that is quickly cleared) saying the tape server is inaccessible.

Veeam fully updated and is running on a physical server running 2012, and the Quantum Superloader LTO-6 is directly attached to it. When I do a 20TB backup to tape job, it completes successfully and uses nine tapes. I can also do a smaller file to tape job (I tried 8,000 files and around 90GB) and it worked fine on a single tape. Has anyone run in to a similar issue? Support seems to be indicating it's related to the autochanger, but since the much larger backup jobs work I'm not sure what the difference is.

Case number is 01022029.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: File to tape failure and autoloader

Post by veremin »

Is this issue reproducible? Does always happen at the very same stage of tape job processing?
bdoe
Enthusiast

Post by bdoe »

Yes, it's reproducible. Back in January I attempted a similar job with the then-current version, and it failed with the same error. I've tried the job 3-4 times in the past two weeks and each time it fails the same.
bdoe
Enthusiast

Post by bdoe » 1 person likes this post

This is taken care of; I had mistakenly set the job to export the media set, but my autoloader doesn't have import/export slots. I've run two copies of the failing job since removing that option, all is well.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Thank you for coming back and updating the topic with the found resolution; much appreciated. Thanks.