Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
snadam
Influencer
Liked: never

HP DL380 G8 not booting from recovery media

Post by snadam »

I have an HP-DL380 G8 server that is a Hyper-V host and using VEB for bare metal recovery; all my guests are backed up using VBR.

The host fails to boot from the VEB VEEAMRE boot media, in this case a 16GB SDHC card. It appears that the recovery media was created for a machine with UEFI boot capabilities. The HP DL380 G8 does not support UEFI, only traditional BIOS boot. How do I force VEB to create boot media that will work with a non-UEFI machine?

Thanks
marioarce
Novice
Full Name: Mario Arce

Re: HP DL380 G8 not booting from recovery media

Post by marioarce »

I'm not 100% sure but I ran into the same problem. I had to reinstall my source PC and then recaptured the backup to be able to restore on a non UEFI partition.
I think you have no choice. Your HP machine does not support UEFI to match the backup set.
snadam
Influencer

Post by snadam »

Were you trying to restore a backup set from a UEFI machine onto a different, non-UEFI machine?

In my case the backup set was created on a non-UEFI machine and I'm trying to restore onto the same exact non-UEFI machine. The problem is that the boot media appears to be created for UEFI.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hey folks,

Please open a support case and share the recovery logs (it should be places inside the backup repository) with the support team. You can upload the recovery logs to any cloud storage and share the link with me via PM – I’ll pass it to QA. Thanks
snadam
Influencer

Post by snadam »

Please open a support case and share the recovery logs (it should be places inside the backup repository)
Happy to open a case and don't mind sharing logs.

However, I haven't been able to initiate a recovery, I can't boot the machine from the recovery media, so will there be any recovery logs to share?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

I can't boot the machine from the recovery media, so will there be any recovery logs to share?
I am sorry, for some reason I missed the most important part of your post - my bad. Let me check with QA really quick and get back to you.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Meanwhile, is it possible to create a RAW recovery media (without drivers included) at any other non UEFI machine?

EDIT: Might be a good idea to create it under x64 OS