Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
bhsense
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: BH Admin

Need help with Bitlocker enabled W10Pro

Post by bhsense »

Hello everyone,

I was testing out the veeam endpoint backup on my Windows 10 Pro, bitlocker enabled laptop. In terms of backing up entire pc, it seems to be working fine. However, I feel like I'm missing out something as Veeam does not show "One or more drives are protected with Bitlocker and must be unlocked for backup process. Proceed?" when I backup. The initial full backup and recurring incremental backup seems to be okay with no error message. I've made baremetal recovery with ISO and stored it on network drive (NAS).

Now I went on to test the BMR by swapping the internal SSD with a brand new one, already formatted. (original one is 128GB while new one is 256GB). I've burned the ISO on to a DVD and booted from it. Selected BMR with Veeam, restore from shared folder, and picked "Entire Computer' but came up with "unable to auto-match disks" error. According to http://helpcenter.veeam.com/endpoint/11/bitlocker.html, I thought I was going to receive "Destination volume is protected by Bitlocker. Unlock the volume....." error but I have not. I tried to restore by selecting manually but then the "Customize Disk Mapping" shows nothing.

What am I missing? I can verify that the drive is encrypted as I can check through Windows and also tried connecting it through external sata connector but shown with "drive protected by bitlocker, please enter key".

Any help will be great!! I'm hoping to deploy these software along with B&R repository.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Need help with Bitlocker enabled W10Pro

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Josh,
Thanks for the feedback - its highly appreciated. Regarding your issue, this brand new SSD was formatted and bitlocked, right? If you can't see this volume in Disk Mapping, check Tools > Load Drivers. Can you see the drive is listed there under storage devices? Thanks
bhsense
Novice

Post by bhsense »

Hello Dima,

Thank you for the reply and I'm sorry for the delay in response. I've figured out that the problem was on my end, I misunderstood that the drive was brand new but it was actually a used one. The disk format via windows did not help but Erase Disk from Partition Magic software have solved it. I was able to do BMR with Entire Computer and the computer is up and running.

However, it seems like the disk is decrypted? Is this expected behavior?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

You are welcome Josh! Yes, recovery to non-original location will decrypt the volume but you can enable Bitlocker protection once the OS is resoterd.
bhsense
Novice

Post by bhsense »

Thanks!! By the way, bravo, bravo.... this software is amazing so far. I just hope Maxfocus will adopt compatibility with Veeam Endpoint Protection so we can check status via their agent as well :D
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Josh,

Thank you for the kind works. Yes, we keep the hand on a pulse of service provider’s requests – meanwhile Veeam Endpoint Backup for LabTech is available and its worth checking.