Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
CT-IT
Novice
Liked: never

Schedule a Backup Copy Job to rotated discs

Post by CT-IT »

Hi to all,

at present I'm stuck with scheduling a Backup Copy Job the way it is needed.
Any helpful hint is appreciated.

Environment:
2 VMware hosts (6.0) backed up by a physical machine (W2012R2) , which has sufficient disc space and runs Veeam B&R (8)

Goal:
- Backup Jobs to the above named server's discs are run on every weekdays' nights (works fine)
- On Sundays these Backups shall be synced to rotated external USB 3.0 discs, which are then brought offsite until it's their turn again (???)

Here I'm missing the needed sceduling options in Backup Copy Jobs.
I can set the Job's properties to run every "X" days, to make it run weekly.
The downside: to my understanding with this configuration I have to set the job to "active" on Sunday, when I'm usually not in the office .... ;)
Other approach: set a shorter Backup Copy Job interval (e.g. 12 Hours) and use the Schedule-Function to only allow it's execution on Sunday.
This one's downside: On top of the Schedule-Function Dialogue the first sentence reads: "Specify when this job is allowed to transfer data over the network"
In case this description is correct, all settings made here, will have no impact on my Backup Copy Job as I transfer from disc to disc and don't use the network ?

Any help on how to acheive a weekly backup to disc every Sunday is appreciated

Best Regards CT
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Schedule a Backup Copy Job to rotated discs

Post by PTide »

Hi,
On Sundays these Backups shall be synced to rotated external USB 3.0 discs, which are then brought offsite until it's their turn again (???)
So USB drives are present on site on Sundays only, correct?
Other approach: set a shorter Backup Copy Job interval (e.g. 12 Hours) and use the Schedule-Function<..>In case this description is correct, all settings made here, will have no impact on my Backup Copy Job as I transfer from disc to disc and don't use the network ?<..>
Yes, it will stil have an impact even if you choose USB drive as a destination. Although the target repo is local it's still treated as if it was a network instance. So setting a backup window is a way to go.

Thank you.
CT-IT
Novice

Post by CT-IT »

PTide wrote:So USB drives are present on site on Sundays only, correct?
Hi Pavel,

my fault - inaccurate description.
No, they are swapped every Monday but are then present the whole week long.

In case a time window set in the Schedule also involves USB drives, my question is perfectly answered.
I was mislead by the descriptor pointig to network instances as one usually would not take a directly attached USB drive for a network device.

May I propose to change the description in further versions ?
As far as I grasp your explanation, the Schedule applies to any secondary backup target, so the limitation to "network" only leads to misunderstandings here.

Best Regards CT
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

No, they are swapped every Monday but are then present the whole week long.
Then you might want to run backup copy job every night in order to have the whole chain of daily RPs on the drive. If you run backup copy once a week then only the most recent RP will be copied to USB drive.
May I propose to change the description in further versions ?
Sounds good, thank you for the feedback!
CT-IT
Novice

Post by CT-IT »

PTide wrote:Then you might want to run backup copy job every night in order to have the whole chain of daily RPs on the drive. If you run backup copy once a week then only the most recent RP will be copied to USB drive.
Hi Pavel,

I appreciate you pointing this out -Thumbs up !
But for our backup concept exactly this is the configuration we wish to have.
Syncing the Backups to disc on a daily basis would have been quite easy 8)

But this topic's question especially occured as Backup Copy Jobs won't let you configure specific weekdays to be run on.
It is good to know that you have to approach from the other direction and that this can be done with any target:
--> run job any day on time "X"
--> on the Schedule exclude days you don't want the job to run

Best Regards CT