Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
icebun
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Using QNAP for NAS to NAS replication

Post by icebun »

I am using a QNAP NAS for backups via SMB.

Out of curiosity is anyone using the NAS to NAS replication feature as opposed to VBR's replication component across a WAN?
Bunce
Veteran
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andrew

Re: Using QNAP for NAS to NAS replication

Post by Bunce »

We're thinking of using both actually - VBR replication of the last week or so, so we have a DR copy 'ready-to-go' and then QNAP replication of all the local backups for retention. A bit wasteful, but we've got Riverbeds at each site so the amount transferred is drastically reduced (90%+).

Haven't got a QNAP at the remote site at the moment so won't be able to test for a few weeks. Not overly sold on the quality of the QNAP's - particularly the iSCSI functionality. And the replication feature isn't overly useful (limited alerts for failed replication, forum reports of 'hung' replication jobs, limited progress reporting, etc)..
icebun
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by icebun »

Thanks for the response Bunce, we got the 16TB rackmounted unit as it was the cheapest on the market in terms of storage.

Intresting to hear about replication issues using QNAP. I think for the moment I will stick to using VBR when I get round to it.

Good to know that you have had some positive success using Riverbed.

We have a 6MB line set aside for the WAN replication, so are hoping to get away with it but I will pick up on your posts about the product if and when I get round to evaluating it.
regi
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Regi Pradeeswaran

Post by regi »

Hi

I'm happily using SNAP EDR between 2 SNAP servers. Works very well
http://www.overlandstorage.com/pdfs/EDR_data.pdf
Not a big fan of QNAP sorry :D
mcwill
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Iain McWilliams

Post by mcwill »

Yes,

Using QNAP here to replicate backups offsite, it works very well sending from an 809 to a 259.

It takes approx 2 hours 30min to replicate a folder containing 177GB of backup data over a 20Mbs link and is a lot faster for us than using the Veeam replication. The disadvantage of course is that we then have backups at the remote site and not VMs ready to run. However I believe the new version of Veeam will solve that.

Regards,
Iain