Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
cffit
Veteran
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

SureBackup Job Fails "No object in backup found for VM"

Post by cffit »

I have mulitple SureBackup jobs setup to run, and all work but one. I have an AD server and SQL server setup in a SureBackup job, and when I try to run it I get this error in the session log:

No object in backup found for VM (VM_NAME) (ID 'xxxxx')
Job has failed unexpectedly

In the above error message I substituted (VM_NAME) for the actual name of my VM and in the 'xxxx' part is a long ID number.

I changed the Application Group that this job uses to use a different SQL server and then it works fine. It's just an issue with one particular SQL server. When I setup the Application Group, I choose the servers from our vCenter setup.

Any ideas?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: SureBackup Job Fails "No object in backup found for VM"

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Looks like SureBackup job is unable to locate your SQL Server (ID "xxxxx") in backups, which leads to entire job failure. Please be sure to update your post with the support case ID, or this topic will be removed soon according to the forum rules.
cffit
Veteran

Post by cffit »

Not sure what you mean by support case ID. You want me to open a case with support and then post here?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Exactly. That is how this forum rules (available every time you click New Topic) prescribe to post about any technical issue.
cffit
Veteran

Post by cffit »

My support case number is 5195331. I was under the impression that Veeam wanted users to try the forums before opening a support case. It seems kind of strange to post here for help if I'm going to work with a support person directly, but maybe there are people on the forums who have additional insight I guess.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

No, in fact we want exactly the opposite - to have users open the support case before they post on forums. The reasons for that are also described in the same place, along with explanation of the purpose of this forum.
cffit
Veteran

Post by cffit »

Alright, we've cleard this up then I guess. I'll post my findings from whenever I get a callback from support and hopefully it will help others if they end up seeing the same issue.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks! This will serve the purpose of this forum nicely, and this is also why we need your support case ID. Thing is, most people don't come back to post the resolution, leaving us unable to quickly assist future readers having the same issue.
inspirelife
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Troy Quigley

No object in backup found for VM 'XXXX' (ID 'xxxxxxxx')

Post by inspirelife »

[merged]

When attempting to run a SureBackup job I immediately get the message: No object in backup found for VM 'XXXX' (ID 'xxxxxxxx')

I'm trying to create a Virtual Lab for my exchange environment (DC, CAS, and Mail systems). The message points to the CAS box. There are valid backups of all machines in the lab. Any idea why this may be happening?

My Veeam support ticket number is: 5195755

Thnx in advance! :?

PS, this is high priority for me as I'm attempting to restore the CEO's adminsitrative assistant's mailbox. DOH!!!!! :shock:
gfacek
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tobias Abellán

Post by gfacek » 1 person likes this post

For all who have a similar problem:

I removed the regarding VM from the Application Group and added and configured the VM again.

Now the SureBackup-Job is working.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Thanks, Tobias, for sharing valuable information with the community; much appreciated.
jp1
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jonathan Palsi

[MERGED] : No object in backup found

Post by jp1 »

I'm attempting to run a SureBackup job and start it to an earlier point in time. The restore points exist as backup copies in my offsite repository. When I go to start up a SureBackup job and start to that earlier time, I only get "No object in backup found for VM".

Thoughts?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The restore points exist as backup copies in my offsite repository.
Can you elaborate on it? You mean there are restore points for given VMs created by backup copy job? Be aware that restore points created by backup copy job can't be used for SureBackup verification.

As mentioned above, sometimes simple re-adding VMs helps to get rid of the said error.

Thanks.
jp1
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jonathan Palsi

Post by jp1 »

v.Eremin wrote: Can you elaborate on it? You mean there are restore points for given VMs created by backup copy job? Be aware that restore points created by backup copy job can't be used for SureBackup verification.

As mentioned above, sometimes simple re-adding VMs helps to get rid of the said error.

Thanks.
Here's what I have:

I was tasked with restoring a piece of mail from my Exchange server from back in January. We currently only have Exchange 2003, so I have a SureBackup job setup that will allow me to perform this type of task. Being the information is several months old, the restore point is sitting in my backup/offsite repository. So, yes...there are restore points for the VM's I need to restore that were created by backup copy jobs.

So...would I re-add the VM's from the Backup Copy Job into the application group?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Jonathan, please refer to this thread for possible workaround.
sfens
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Seth Fenster

Post by sfens »

I got the same error message. I was adding the replica from infrastructure and adding the replica VM's. I removed them and added the replicas from replicas, then picked the job and the VM. It then worked. I guess you don't add the _replica VM's but the original VM's. The interface shouldn't let you add infrastructure replicas, or it should at least warn you.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're right. You have to select source VMs in the said window. The "from infrastructure" provides you with an overview of your virtual infrastructure, showing all existing VMs and by no means limiting this scope anyhow. Thanks.