Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
cdfosburg
Influencer
Liked: never

B&R from Dell Equallogic

Post by cdfosburg »

Hello All,

I am trying to look into direct san access for my B&R setup. We are running the most current version of the server and proxies.

The question is, does anyone have a guide of what needs to be done for the proxy to interface with the Dell Equallogic? Also does it require the proxy to be a physical machine?

I assume direct san backups are faster vs using vSphere, but if anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Chris
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: B&R from Dell Equallogic

Post by foggy »

cdfosburg wrote:The question is, does anyone have a guide of what needs to be done for the proxy to interface with the Dell Equallogic?
Chris, please review the corresponding FAQ section, also there are a lot of existing topics regarding that, so you can use search to find those discussing your storage specifically.
cdfosburg wrote:Also does it require the proxy to be a physical machine?
Depending on the connection, it can be either physical or virtual. However, virtual proxy doesn't make much sense in this case.
cdfosburg wrote:I assume direct san backups are faster vs using vSphere, but if anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it.
Typically, direct SAN backups are faster than using hotadd, however it always depends on the particular setup.
cdfosburg
Influencer

Post by cdfosburg »

Depending on the connection, it can be either physical or virtual. However, virtual proxy doesn't make much sense in this case.
So it can be virtual, however the recommended is to have it be physical and connected directly into the SAN switches?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Correct.
cdfosburg
Influencer

Post by cdfosburg »

Ok, So I finally have the equipment to do this. I "think" I setup the HIT correctly for my Equallogic. however, how can I tell this is working?
cdfosburg
Influencer

Post by cdfosburg »

I tried to edit my post, but could not. So, I have confirmed with Dell that I am connected to my Equallogic and can see all the iSCSI connections. I checked on my Server 2012 R2 and I also can see all the connections under the Microsoft iSCSI connector. Now, I tried to follow the article http://www.jpaul.me/2010/08/the-mission ... n-backups/, but it is a bit out of date when it comes to 2012R2.

So, if I am authenticated to my SAN and I start the connection to the lun via iSCSI, why is my backup still failing?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Do you see VMFS volumes in the Windows Disk Management snap-in? What is the reason of the job failure?