Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Matt Dwyer

Essentials - include VBR monitor?

Post by mattdwyerva »

We have a 4 socket "Essentials" license that comes with VBR + Veeam One (V1). VBR 8.0 installed.

I never used V1, but recently found VBR excluding one VM (separate topic - case 01092404), and I thought I would explore monitor options with V1. When I installed V1 ver 8, it asked me if I wanted to monitor backups and if so, it would allow me to test that functionality for 30 days.

Dumb question... was that message just in case I had not purchased VBR (in case I had been testing V1 only), or does this means that V1 license in Essentials is NOT intended to report/monitor VBR?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 728 times

Re: Essentials - include VBR monitor?

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Have you tried to install license after V1 installation?

Thank you.
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Post by mattdwyerva »

When I click on Help->License Information, it says
License Status: License is valid
License type: Full License
etc

So I think I am all set? I see the button to Install License, but if it is all set, I don't want to screw it up.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 728 times

Post by PTide »

License type: Full License
Please contact technical support since it's an unexpected behaviour. After you open a ticket please post your case ID here.

Thank you.
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Post by mattdwyerva »

Very good. Case 01093666
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hello Matt,
mattdwyerva wrote:When I installed V1 ver 8, it asked me if I wanted to monitor backups and if so, it would allow me to test that functionality for 30 days.

Dumb question... was that message just in case I had not purchased VBR (in case I had been testing V1 only), or does this means that V1 license in Essentials is NOT intended to report/monitor VBR?
It works this way, you install VBR and Veeam ONE. During the Veeam ONE installation it asks for the license key. If you don`t apply a purchased one, you can proceed in the Free version. Backup infrastructure monitoring is not included in the free version, so you need to install the license. If you don`t it offers you to try out the Trial mode.
Once your full license is installed, you should be able to monitor VBR with no issues.

Veeam ONE Essentials license includes VBR monitoring and reporting.
Thanks.
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Post by mattdwyerva »

It works great now, thanks. Took me a bit to find the Veeam security groups, but this is very cool.

I do wish that the VBR jobs listed %complete and/or estimated total time (tricky calc I realize) in addition to bytes transferred. I can go weeks without caring, and then have a few painful days firing up excel repeatedly and doing the math on the time and the bytes/hr and setting alarms for myself to replace a tape... anyway, not critical but fwiw.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2717 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Matt, do you want to see this data in Veeam ONE reports or the Monitor Client?
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Post by mattdwyerva »

I have just been using the Monitor Client at this point, so that was my reference. Historical data is well represented, imo, but I at times of change, I find myself creating new jobs and waiting for something, and I can only estimate how long they will take, since no history.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2717 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Ok, got it! If you're doing your own math in Excel then our predefined report templates for Veeam backup can be useful as well.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Matt,

% Completed is a valid request, will add it in the next versions. Thanks!
mattdwyerva wrote:I can go weeks without caring, and then have a few painful days firing up excel repeatedly and doing the math on the time and the bytes/hr and setting alarms for myself to replace a tape... anyway, not critical but fwiw.
Could you specify what kind of warning are you missing? "Tape is full and need to be replaced"?
Thanks!
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Post by mattdwyerva »

I already get emails when a tape is required, so no more alarms are needed. However, I sometimes do maintenance on weekends, and then I need to plan my day to avoid babysitting it, and the % complete would be helpful (even though I recognize it is just an estimate). I think that is it.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Fair enough.
mattdwyerva wrote:I sometimes do maintenance on weekends, and then I need to plan my day to avoid babysitting it, and the % complete would be helpful (even though I recognize it is just an estimate).
Since data collection from VBR to Veeam ONE Monitor takes some time, %complete will be slightly behind the "real" number. Need to check if it`s not misleading for "faster" jobs. Thanks for the feedback once again!