Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
SGSA
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Asela De Costa

Rolling back changes made by incomplete job run Error

Post by SGSA »

Hi All,
i got following error and cannot backup the servers?

Error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. Failed to open file [\\NAS01\VeeamProdBackup\ADS01\ADS012015-11-10T214555.vrb] in readonly mode.

As
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Rolling back changes made by incomplete job run Error

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Please check if any other job/process uses the .vrb file. Also check if there is any antivirus running.

Thank you.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The subsequent job run should create a new valid restore point, so there is no need to rollback any changes.
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Post by alanbolte »

I don't understand what you mean by that Vitaliy - reverse incremental (you can tell it's that mode by the .vrb file) always rolls back changes to the full backup file after a failure. "Rolling back changes made by incomplete job run" is what you will see in the real-time statistics during this process. Perhaps you were thinking of forward incremental?

Pavel's right about the possibility of antivirus or similar conflict, but I also occasionally see a NAS decide to lock a file for no obvious reason and not let go until the NAS is fully powered off and back on again (I've even seen a soft reboot not fix it).

What is your support case number?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I meant to say there is no need to do anything manually, cause if you resolve the issue with a locked file and run a job, we will create a new valid restore point.
WRS2200
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Weston Strom

Post by WRS2200 »

I was getting the same error. The job would fail at rolling back changes made by incomplete job run. The only way I was able to get a successful backup was to remove all the old restore points, resyc respository, and start an active full. I did not try to power the NAS on and off. I will try this next time I see the error.