Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
JMB_74
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Error: root element is missing

Post by JMB_74 »

Hi,

PC under Windows 7 Pro x64, VeeamEndPoint V1.1.2.119.
Since 2 days now, the backup doesn't work anymore, I receive mail notification "error: root element is missing".
The backup is stored on a NAS defined as backup repository in our Veeam BR server.
All others some PC's where VeeamEndPoint is installed on, the backup work fine.

Thank's.
Regards.
Fred.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Root element is missing

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Do all other machine use the same VBR NAS repository for their jobs?

Thank you.
JMB_74
Novice

Post by JMB_74 »

Yes
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Then I suggest you to open a case with support team so they can take a closer look at your environment - it seems to be a VBR related issue so your topic has been merged. Don't forget to post your case ID here.

Thank you.
JMB_74
Novice

Post by JMB_74 »

Veeam Support - Case # 01144370
JMB_74
Novice

[RESOLVED]Re: Root element is missing

Post by JMB_74 » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

After deleting the backup from disk (from the Veeam BR console), the backup task works well.
Fred.

Here it is the support answer:

1. From the Veeam Backup & Replication console, locate the backup files from the Backup & Replication view > disk. Then right click the EP restore points and click remove from disk.
2. Point the Endpoint backup job to a new location or a new repository. This will create a new chain on this new repo.
3. Clear out the Veeam Endpoint Backup database from which the job will need to be reconfigured and the backups will create a new chain and new vbm file. This can be done by the following:

1. Open up RegEdit
2. Look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint
3. Create new DWORD value called ReCreateDatabase and assign to it 1 (decimal)
4. Start Endpoint service manually or just reboot your pc.
5. If Endpoint started successfully, delete created key.
zadrian
Expert
Liked: 4 times

[MERGED] Error: Root element is missing

Post by zadrian »

I am using VAW 2.2.0.589 Free Edition

I have been getting "Error: Root element is missing" for the past 2 days (over weekend) and also when I try to manually run backup.

Please advise how to resolve for the current user.
Kindly advise what causes these errors (I have approx 500 users and would like to prevent these errors)
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Error: root element is missing

Post by wishr »

Hi Zadrian,

I've moved your post to an existing thread covering a similar issue. Please take a quick look and reach out to our support team for assistance with resolution.

Thanks
EcoboostPerformance
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ryan

Post by EcoboostPerformance »

This is the sort of error i would like to see self-heal, I had this same behavior happen after a repo got full and we had to add some space. After the repo gets full even when new space is available, you are presented with the 'root element is missing error' on all of your backup jobs using this repo...., I also would like to see a better solution than delete all your backups and set a reg key....

Case #05804075
Bajay86
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Joel Bajay

Post by Bajay86 »

I have figured one way of resolving this issue, especially sitting with 1TB of data to rerun on a full backup.
What happens is that the vrb file in the backup chain gets corrupt due to maybe an unexpected interruption in the backup process, or a disconnection with the repository... cant really say.
So, what I did was:
- make a copy the previous good vrb file in the repository (goodvrbfile-copy.vrb)
- move the corrupt vrb file (this will be the most recent vrb file by the way) to another location, and copy the name of the file (corruptvrbfile.vrb)
- rename goodvrbfile-copy.vrb to corruptvrbfile.vrb
- run the backup and it will run just fine from where it left off.

I dont know exactly what's under the hood of Veeam, but I think it references to the last file name before it continues with the backup chain.

This is how i resolved my issue.