Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
walazono
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: WalaZ

Does the full backup seed need to be recreated occaisionally

Post by walazono »

I see the full backup will include newer incremental backups as the number of restore points is exceeded, or moved to a newer date. Has there ever been a problem where the original full backup seed becomes corrupt causing any future volume restores to have a problem?

Should I move the backup set to an archive folder and erase the destination of the backups to occasionally to force a new full backup to be created?

I was thinking of a monthly archive/erase for the 14 day restore point, but if it's not needed that's one less thing to do.

Thanks
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Re: Does the full backup seed need to be recreated occaision

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Just to clarify, what is your destination for the backup job, is it a Veeam repository or a USB drive / shared folder?
VMCE v9
walazono
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: WalaZ

Post by walazono »

The backup destination would be a shared folder on a NAS device.

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi walazono,
Has there ever been a problem where the original full backup seed becomes corrupt causing any future volume restores to have a problem?
Have not seen any issues related to backup file corruption since VEB was released. Just in case something happens with the backup chain – the new full backup will be created during the next job run.
Should I move the backup set to an archive folder and erase the destination of the backups to occasionally to force a new full backup to be created?
The default backup mode is forever incremental so no periodic full backups are supported. However, you can use a standalone full backup (not affected by retention settings) or change the backup destination in backup job settings if you want to start a new backup chain from scratch.