Host-based backup of oVirt KVM-based VMs (Red Hat Virtualization, Oracle Linux KVM)
iua2008
Lurker
Liked: never

Is Veeam doing anything in KVM space?

Post by iua2008 »

Has anyone heard if Veeam are considering expanding their support for other Virtualisation platforms?

Looks like Veeam competitors are moving for KVM support. http://www.acronis.com/en-au/business/b ... nced/rhev/

We have migrated from VMWare to Proxmox (KVM+Openvz) so if Veeam don't offer a solution looks like we will be ending our Veeam subscription at expiry date.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Is Veeam doing anything in KVM space?

Post by Gostev »

Hello! We are monitoring the market closely, and are ready to add support for other hypervisors as soon as it will make business sense for us (basically, when any one of them grabs notable market share). In your case, there is unfortunately no other option but to look for another backup solution, because you have already migrated to KVM and need to be performing backups right now. You really cannot afford having your data unprotected. Thanks!
iua2008
Lurker

Post by iua2008 »

Thanks Anton,

We are doing backups now utilising the Proxmox native vzdump utility :-)

Just thought it would be nice if we could transition backup tools so we have both historical and current backups on same platform.

Thanks,
Allan.
dgapinski
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dan Gapinski

Post by dgapinski »

I've been looking at Nutanix hosts, which can use KVM as their visor. I'd really like to not dump Veeam if I made such a move. The management & storage features of Nutanix look very promising.
toffitomek
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tomasz Foltman

Post by toffitomek »

Same here. Veeam - KVM thanks to Nutanix may be next hot topic...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Currently there are no changes in terms of KVM support. Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

toffitomek wrote:KVM thanks to Nutanix may be next hot topic
We will be there momentarily, as soon it does become a hot topic ;)
Giacomo_N
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Giacomo

Post by Giacomo_N »

Same here, we are evaluating nutanix or simplivity for the next year HW change, very interesting the next nutanix things like the custom hypervisor "Acropolis" KVM based, totally free with more features!
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Totally free on top of a very non-free platform ;)
I understand the reason for this request, but the hypervisor license is just a part of price of an hyperconverged platform. And just to say, you can run hyper-v free and this one is totally supported by Veeam now ;)
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
jroot
Influencer
Full Name: Jim Root

Post by jroot »

Made the jump to four nodes of Nutanix last month and we are not looking back. Adding another four in October. Still using VMware for the hypervisor and I just saw that Luca and Derek have a best practices whitepaper out for Nutanix with VMware and Veeam. We are going to load Nutanix CE on the hardware we just decommissioned and see if this can be a nice repository target (as long as we can get the 10Gb cards purchased soon). We also want to gain experience on Acropolis since it only makes sense that Veeam will add another powerful hypervisor to their now industry standard B&R product. ;)
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Thanks for the kind words on the paper. Just a note a bit OT on this thread: I'm testing a new solutions for Nutanix+vSphere backups, results are promising and hopefully I will have a couple of blog posts coming out soon even before updating the whitepaper ;)
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
pacegmbh
Novice
Full Name: J.Busch

Post by pacegmbh »

Hi Veeam Team,
just to add another vote.
NUTANIX along with Acropolis seems very promising to us as well.

Backups have never been easier before VEEAM and NUTANIX seems to do the same for hyperconverged virtualization.
VEEAM and NUTANIX seem to be a perfect couple, so I'd love to see both together.

Cheers
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

But vast majority of Nutanix customers are using VMware...
baracudoz
Lurker
Full Name: Barton Dozier

Post by baracudoz »

hi Jroot,
Are you planning to use VEEAM replication to copy onto a DR site with Nutanix CE ? As Nutanix CE is based on KVM, I wonder if that works.
Baracudoz
frankL
Lurker
Full Name: Frank

Post by frankL »

Hosting provider here, no vmware or hyper-v, only Xen (old servers) and KVM (new servers). Would love Veaam for KVM!

PS: hyper-v is not free: it's only free if you license all your servers for Windows. As we run 98% Linux and only 2% (probably even less) Windows, Hyper-V is certainly not free...
beefy80
Lurker
Full Name: James Russell

Post by beefy80 »

We are a Nutanix customer with ESXi on our boxes however we have been looking at the Acropolis (KVM) platform and we are considering that the next 2 clusters we are planning to purchase next year will be built with Acropolis rather than ESXi. However our backup strategy is based around Veeam at this time and clearly there is no path for us to carry on with this. It would be great to hear if anything has changed since the last update in July. We are currently running though our plans for the next 12 months and the new clusters are very much part of that plan.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

No plans to add KVM support within next 12 months. Thanks!
davow
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: D W

Post by davow »

Another +1 here for KVM support in the v11 roadmap. Thanks. (I assume v10 falls under the "No plans to add KVM support within next 12 months")
dlbenson1979
Novice
Full Name: Dan B

[MERGED] Veeam and Nutanix Acropolis

Post by dlbenson1979 »

Someone had posted that Veeam will not have integration with Nutanix Acropolis as of Q4 2016 (v10)? Is this true.

I feel that it is imperative that Veeam begin talks with Nutanix and come up with a solution as soon as possible. Many Data centers are looking to move off VMWare/Hyper-V and go to the acropolis hypervisor, but if Veeam won't support it, then they stand to loose business to other companies who will.

Could a forum moderator please get me up to speed on a timeline for Veeam\Nutanix integration?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Dan. We are ready to add support for any hypervisor (including KVM) as soon as it grabs sufficient market share. Until then, there is no business sense for us to distract our attention from the marketing leading hypervisors.

We don't believe we need to be the first in any market to win the market, in fact we were not the first VMware or Hyper-V backup vendor either (and by far).

Thanks!
mongie
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

Post by mongie » 1 person likes this post

frankL wrote:Hosting provider here, no vmware or hyper-v, only Xen (old servers) and KVM (new servers). Would love Veaam for KVM!

PS: hyper-v is not free: it's only free if you license all your servers for Windows. As we run 98% Linux and only 2% (probably even less) Windows, Hyper-V is certainly not free...
Pretty sure Hyper-V Server 2012R2 is free. Using Hyper-V on Windows 2012R2 Datacentre is not.
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange » 2 people like this post

Ok I know this is getting a bit off topic, but just to clear up any misconceptions about the cost of Hyper-V... the difference between Windows Server licenses is in the number of Windows Server VMs you are allowed to run when a physical server is assigned that license.
Hyper-V Server: 0 VMs
Standard Edition: 2 VMs
Datacenter Edition: Unlimited VMs

If you are 100% Linux based, you can use the free Hyper-V server and not pay Microsoft a penny. The cost of licensing Windows Server VMs is the same regardless of what virtualization platform you are using, which means that yes Hyper-V itself is 100% free

A good write-up is here: http://www.aidanfinn.com/?p=15477
aldom
Lurker
Full Name: Dana Aldom

Post by aldom »

I thought I would add my disappointment to lack of planned KVM (Acropolis) support. Hyper-V isn't really an option for us and while we love Veeam and were hoping to use it for our project, we couldn't let the backup software dictate choice of platform. We couldn't justify the cost of purchasing VMware just to be able to work with Veeam, so have been forced to go with CommVault instead. Sad but true...
jbennett
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Justin Bennett

Post by jbennett » 1 person likes this post

nmdange wrote:If you are 100% Linux based, you can use the free Hyper-V server and not pay Microsoft a penny. The cost of licensing Windows Server VMs is the same regardless of what virtualization platform you are using, which means that yes Hyper-V itself is 100% free
We've learned that you get what you pay for. Is KVM free?

Our last six Hyper-V VMs will be gone by beginning of January. A functional centralized management (vSphere) and awesome backup and monitoring product ;) is priceless.
-Justin
[@cajeeper]|[http://www.allthingstechie.net]
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

aldom wrote:I thought I would add my disappointment to lack of planned KVM (Acropolis) support. Hyper-V isn't really an option for us and while we love Veeam and were hoping to use it for our project, we couldn't let the backup software dictate choice of platform. We couldn't justify the cost of purchasing VMware just to be able to work with Veeam, so have been forced to go with CommVault instead. Sad but true...
I understand and only hope that you evaluated not just CapEx, but OpEx of the overall solution as well. Because every time I hear these words "we couldn't justify the cost of purchasing X", I find that in 100% of cases there was no 3-5 years TCO calculations done, which would include cost of labor maintaining more complex solution, as well as increased cost of downtime due to lack of new hypervisor expertise, limited recovery capabilities, bad backups, missed RPOs etc.

This is almost "normal" though. In my 18 years in IT, I only heard "we couldn't justify the costs of owning X" may be 5 times at most from a prospect. In fact, the first time was at my previous company - and after making this statement, the prospect made a 50K purchase of our solution, despite a competitor giving away theirs for free (just to make sure we don't get the deal).

In any case, good luck - and it would be awesome to hear an update from you sometimes before the next Christmas, to learn how things are working out with KVM. I am naturally interested.
preetam
Lurker
Full Name: Preetam Zare

Post by preetam »

Gostev wrote:No plans to add KVM support within next 12 months. Thanks!
Thank you. It is always great to know things directly from Veeam. We were able to make decision on backup design very quickly
nmace
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times

[MERGED] Acropolis Support?

Post by nmace »

Has there been any discussion at Veeam about adding support for Nutanix's hypervisor Acropolis? Right now we run vSphere on top of the Nutanix platform and backup the VMs with Veeam. It would be great if we could move some workloads to a cluster running Acropolis and still use Veeam to backup the VMs. That would mean less vSphere licenses to purchase/renew. I realize adding a new hypervisor to Veeam is not a trivial task, just wondering if it has been discussed or is on the roadmap?
danatk
Influencer

Post by danatk »

Another vote for KVM support.

We are about to roll out some Nutanix (alongside a traditional HP stack running vSphere) and we're having a lot of trouble justifying the vSphere licensing cost, or even finding any real reason to run vSphere on these boxes. Acropolis KVM has all the features we ever use from vSphere, plus no vCenter in the middle and all the associated headaches.

Nutanix Prism is a joy to use compared to vCenter.

As for the TCO argument.....well, KVM on Nutanix is a turnkey deployment, no vCenter appliance or windows instance + SQL. You're ready to go in minutes and Prism runs on all the nodes, rather than in a VM like vCenter, which you ideally have to run on another host out-of-band so you don't get the chicken-and-egg situation with VC managing the hosts where it runs. We feel confident that the Nutanix/KVM solution will require way less management than our vSphere stack.

The only thing missing for us is Veeam support. Commvault is fine, but over-complex for the task at hand.

Please add support :)
jameskilbynet
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: James Kilby

Post by jameskilbynet »

Yeah we are a service provider going over to Nutanix. We will be mainly staying with VMware for now but may look at acropolis for some of the workloads. KVM support would make the switch mutch easier
boliff
Lurker

Post by boliff »

We are looking to move to KVM over the next 2 years. Would like to keep VEEAM if possible.