Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Iain Mochan
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Iain Mochan

Backup of Individual Files

Post by Iain Mochan »

Hi Guys,

First time post here and looking for some help/advise/clarification. I am running Veeam V8 we have an on site backup for our virtual machines and all working fine. The issue I am looking for help on is that I wish to backup individual files to the cloud, so for instance say I have a VM which is 1TB in size but only want to backup the important files say 100GB of data how can I specify in the backup what I want, and what to exclude?

I have phone Veeam and been told a mixture of things all to no avail. Is what I am looking for possible in Version 8? is it not? will it be something that will get added into Version 9?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

PS should also mention that I am looking to backup the files to a cloud repository.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: backup of individual files

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Iain,

Currently there is no way to select individual files in the backup job, the entire VM image needs to be backed up. However, in upcoming version 9 there will be a way to include/exclude individual folders and files from the backup job. This should not be considered as a file-level backup job.

In your case I would recommend using Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE (file-level backup job) for this task.

Thank you!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: backup of individual files

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Iain and welcome to the forums!
For now you can exclude VM disks from backup jobs.
Thanks!