Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
flyfisher604
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Don Gamble

System freeze will trying to create VSS snapshot

Post by flyfisher604 »

Windows 10. Backups have been running fine for weeks, last night the VSS Snapshot was 17+ minutes and counting. Everything on the system would freeze for multiple minutes. Rebooted and attempted multiple times with same results.

Disabled AVG virus scanner and VSS snapshot completed in 18 seconds.

How to resolve, don't want to have to disable AVG each night.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: System freeze will trying to create VSS snapshot

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Don,

Can you follow the instructions in this article and see if that solves the problem?

http://www.veeam.com/kb2034

Thanks

Mike
guebert
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by guebert »

In my case (Win 7, AVG free 2016) it worked like this.

But why is it necessary to manually configure the AV software to let a professional beck up tool run?

Michael
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,
But why is it necessary to manually configure the AV software to let a professional beck up tool run?
Feel free to submit a support case at AVG side. Thanks.
guebert
Influencer

Post by guebert »

IMHO it's not a user's job to ensure compatibility with widely used software ... Shouldn't Veeam has a special interest in such compatibility? I was lucky to find this thread AFTER I had uninstalled EP already and was looking for an alternative ...

Michael
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

The issue here is caused by a bug in the antivirus which breaks core OS functionality, so this is not something we can fix from our side.

To give you an analogy, a car manufacturer cannot make the engine run well when there is water in gasoline... this kind of issue is something you have to take back to your favorite gas station's owner (and, depending on the answer, change the gas station you are using altogether). Do you agree?

That said, maximum possible compatibility with antivirus software was actually one of the core design paradigms for us, and a lot of architectural decisions were taken with that in mind. For example, we implemented the dedicated changed block tracking mechanism for Veeam Endpoint Backup from the scratch - instead of simply reusing one we already had for years in Veeam Backup & Replication. So from perspective of the code we own, we've really done everything we could to ensure the compatibility. As noted above, faulting component in this case is outside of our code (Microsoft VSS framework), with the real offender being a bug in AVG which prevents Microsoft VSS from functioning properly.
guebert
Influencer

Post by guebert » 1 person likes this post

I send a link to this thread to AVG support. FYI the case number there is 02698830.

I'll keep you up-to-date.

Michael
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Thanks Michael! We appreciate it
DeadEyedJacks
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Dead-Data

Post by DeadEyedJacks »

Just to note recently had similar issues with McAfee AV and VSS Snap creation hanging on Windows 10 also.
Resolved initially by my manually whitelisting components, then by subsequent definition update.
I'd say the onus is definitely on the AV software companies not to break legitimate system components and commercial software with their updates.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks David. To tell the truth, we submit a lot of false positive requests to these vendors from our side but, unfortunately, some of them are not quite responsive, thus we always recommend to open a case at the customer side.