Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
mythumbsclick
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: mythumbsclick

Tape Questions

Post by mythumbsclick »

Hi guys

I have no previous experience with backing up to tape so could really do with a bit of guidance. I currently have an r720 Veeam backup repo (physical - server 2012R2) which my Veeam backup server uses as a target. Using Veeam i also replicate to a remote site critical servers and this all works well. I want to back up a monthly full to tape which will be held in a safe in a remote office for archive purposes. Backing up Exchange/Documents server I would imagine would be no more than a couple of TB so reckon I can get away with a single LT6 tape per month. Because I am a dell "shop" I have been looking at the PowerVault TL1000.

Do you think this would be sufficient and work ok with Veeam?

Can I get away with adding the tape library to the existing physical r720 Veeam repo server via ISCSI initiator and would the Veeam Backup VM be ok having the same server as a Tape repo and a backup target?

Thanks
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Re: Tape Questions

Post by skrause »

Veeam will work fine with your tape library connected to the repository server (I have mine set up this way).

If the disk you use for your backup repository is internal, there should be no issues with connecting the tape library over iSCSI, just use the non-exclusive drivers from the manufacturer. If your disk that your repository server uses are connected by iSCSI, you may potentially run into issues if you use the same HBAs to connect the library and disk (best practices for tape is to have separate HBAs in your server for disk and tape traffic).
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi,

All the described should work, however, keep in mind that iSCSI connected tape devices might be a bit slower than directly connected.
mythumbsclick
Influencer

Post by mythumbsclick »

Great thanks for input. Next step buy a tape library :)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

You are welcome. If any questions arise - don’t hesitate asking :wink:
mythumbsclick
Influencer

Post by mythumbsclick »

Thanks Dima

These questions are less Veeam related and more generic backup to tape.

Just reading through the description of the PowerVault TL1000: http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/storage-tl1000/pd
"Fast installation — Simply unpack and rack the unit, connect the SAS cable, load tape media and power on the TL1000 to get started."
Looks like the only interface is SAS direct to a server? Does veeam care about that as long as its presented to the physical server correctly?

With the tape media and LTO6 (2.5 TB native; 6.25 TB) will veeam compress the backup to allow up to 6.25TB or is that something the tape drive should take care of?

Are there any other single drive tape libraries I should be looking at?
Thanks
skrause
Veteran

Post by skrause »

If your Veeam backups are already compressed/deduped and/or encrypted, using library compression won't do much. There is an option in tape job to enable library compression but it is recommended not to use it for Veeam backups to tape.
Steve Krause
mythumbsclick
Influencer

Post by mythumbsclick »

So if my critical servers full backup job is around 1.2TB after Veeam compressed/deduped, does this go towards the LTO Native 2.5TB or compressed 6.25TB?
skrause
Veteran

Post by skrause »

It will use the tapes' Native LTO size. (My LTO5 tapes hold 1.4TB of Veeam Backups)
Steve Krause
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

mythumbsclick, there are inline backup deduplication(processed by VBR) and tape drive deduplication which has almost same level of deduplication (depending on settings).
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The best course of action might be just to play with different options (software and hardware deduplications), once you get a chance, and see which one answers your requirements best. Thanks.