Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
WayneBAIS
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Wayne Daniel

Restore Point Recovery

Post by WayneBAIS »

Backup Info

I have 1 job that backups up to Hyper-V Virtual Machines, Server A and Server B

I was making some changes and went to remove the backups of Server A from the disk through Backup & Replication - Backups - Disk - Backup Job - Server A - Remove from Disk

I was doing this remotely and the server was very slow to respond and i Selected Server B not Server A. Once i realised there was no cancel!

The Backup files have not changed in size, the time stamps have, but the Backups are now not available for Server B.

1st Question - Can i get the backups back?

2nd Question - When the job runs next, will it complete a Full backup of Server B or will it use the data that is already in the backup files. I am not sure if there is enough space on the repository for a full backup.

regards

Wayne
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Restore Point Recovery

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Wayne and welcome to the community!
When you click Remove from disk VBR deletes records about backups and replicas from the Veeam Backup & Replication console and database and, additionally, deletes actual backup and replica files from the destination storage as well.

1)So the actual backups might be gone already. However, as you said
WayneBAIS wrote:The Backup files have not changed in size, the time stamps have, but the Backups are now not available for Server B.
you can rescan the repository in the VBR console and check if the backups were actually deleted.
Even if they were, the data can be still on the disk repository, with the corresponding space marked as free since you freed it up. There are number of 3rd tools to get such a data until something is written over it.

Do you have any copies of those backups on the secondary repository/tapes/cloud?

2) If your backups are removed completely, next backup job run will be active full.
Thanks!
WayneBAIS
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Wayne Daniel

Post by WayneBAIS »

Next question - if I do a full backup, what will the backup copy job do? Just the differences transfers as if it was an incremental or will it transfer the whole active full?

What are these 3rd party tools??
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Next question - if I do a full backup, what will the backup copy job do?
Being a forever incremental by its nature, a backup copy job always (starting from the initial cycle) transfers only the changes.
What are these 3rd party tools??
I think Nikita meant recovery tools allowing you to restore data deleted from NTFS file system. It might be worth googling them and finding the one that suites you most.

Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

v.Eremin wrote:I think Nikita meant recovery tools allowing you to restore data deleted from NTFS file system. It might be worth googling them and finding the one that suites you most.
Vladimir is correct.
By the way, if you have a copy of backups as a chain of backup copy job, you can just make another copy of that to have 2 copies of backups and be safe of unexpected situations again.