Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Chris128
Influencer
Liked: never

Replica already exists

Post by Chris128 »

Hi,

I'm pretty new to Veeam so hopefully this is just something simple :) Basically we upgraded our ESX servers to the latest version recently and then the Veeam backups and replications stopped working, so I've recreated the jobs but now we get the following warnings for each server in the replica job (the backup jobs work fine) :
Finalizing target session
Register VM failed, configFile "[Datastore 2] VeeamBackup/SERVERNAME(vm-58819)/SERVERNAME.vmx", name "SERVERNAME_replica", isTemplate "False", poolRef "resgroup-44760", hostRef "host-44761", folderRef "group-v3"
The name 'SERVERNAME_replica' already exists
Does this mean the replica is failing completely or is it something that can be safely ignored (though I would like to fix it) ? When I look in the datastore that the replicas go to, I can just see a file under each VM's folder named "replica.vbk" but I dont know if that is normal and if that should actually be named the server name?

Cheers
Chris
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Replica already exists

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Chris,

You should be using a different name for your replicas to be able to automatically register it in the vCenter database. But if you'd like to leave it you should remove all your old replicas and perform replication jobs from scratch.

Thanks!
Chris128
Influencer

Post by Chris128 »

Thanks - how do I delete the replicas though? I cant see them anywhere in the datastore browser, I can only see this replica.vbk file in each VM's subfolder...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Chris,

You can use "Delete from disk" option that is available if you go to Replicas node at the Veeam console and right-click on the replication job which was used to replicate your VMs
Chris128
Influencer

Post by Chris128 »

Hmm, I've already deleted the job that was previously in use and cant remember if I used that option or not. Is there any way I can check or any other way to delete them? Surely I would see them in the Datastore if they were still on there?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can you please check if you have this VM "SERVERNAME_replica" registered in the vCenter database? You may use "Search Inventory" option in the vSphere Client to check that. If you find this VM, you may use either "Remove from Inventory" or "Delete from disk". After that try running Veeam replication job once again.
Chris128
Influencer

Post by Chris128 »

Ahh thanks, that search found the replicas and I have now deleted them, so we will see how the replica runs tonight :) thanks