Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bodgeup
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: John Kenny

Veeam V9 Enterprise Manager Self Service DNS issue?

Post by bodgeup »

I have installed Veeam V9 and installed Enterprise Manager with Self Service portal, the portal works for VM's files but for Exchange Items it doesnt list any restore points and when i try to search for a user it pops up saying it could not contact the Domain... What would cause this? It logs on with Domain accounts OK. I cant use the Exchange Items Self Service till i resolve this.

Any ideas?

Thanks

JK
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam V9 Enterprise Manager Self Service DNS issue?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi John,

Are you able to do item level restore via Veeam Explorer for Exchange or you observe the same behavior?

Thanks!
bodgeup
Influencer

Post by bodgeup »

I can do a File level restore on exchange just nothing in the Item Tab on Enterprise Manager.

If i use the Veeam Console on the Backup server itself i can restore Exchange Mailbox items no problem, its just not working in the Enterprise Manager portal. I dont see any restore points on the Calendar even though there are and like i already mentioned it cant find the users themselves in AD for some reason but yet i know Veeam can see AD as i can log on to the Enterprise Manager using AD accounts and also add users and groups into the roles settings page.

Any ideas?

Thanks

JK
bodgeup
Influencer

Post by bodgeup »

I must be missing something as I just installed Veeam B & R v9 & Enterprise Manager for another client and i have exactly the same issue, no Exchange or SQL restore points available although this one can see the domain accounts. But it cant find anything to restore??

Ive Definetely got the Ent man serivice using domain admin account? Why cant it see restore points for Exchange or SQL?

What am i missing?

JK
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi, please open a support case and let one of our engineers to take a look at the issue live. You might not be missing anything, as this could be some v9 bug as well. Thanks!
bodgeup
Influencer

Post by bodgeup »

So What i said about the 2nd site being able to see users wasnt correct. I just dont get the domain cannot be found.... error like my other site. Still no restore points... Same with SQL if i try to pick a VM there are no SQL servers even listed.

Like i said i definately have SQL & Exchange Backed up using Application Awareness & Indexing as ive tested application restore in Veeam B & R Console.

Really strange as it Ent Man sees the backups fine for file & VM level just not item level.

Anyway if anyone else has any ideas id appreciate hearing from you.

I am running the very latest build to V9 .902.

Thanks

JK

Self Service was one of the main features that made us buy this.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Once you open a support case on this, please be sure to include case ID here in this topic, otherwise moderators will delete it in a few days. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

John, does computer with EM installed belong to the same forest as Exchange server? Have you specified the account that has sufficient rights to AD to be used for restore under Configuration > Settings?
bodgeup
Influencer

Post by bodgeup »

Yes the Server is in the same forest, and yes the Veeam Enterprise service is running with a domain admin account.

It cant even see any restore points either so it doesn't sound like just a DNS issue? Surely even before I searched for a users mailbox I should be able to select a restore point in the calendar on the Item page?

Thanks

JK
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I was not talking about the account under which the service is running. You need to specify an account specifically for items restore (please check the link in my previous post).
bodgeup
Influencer

Post by bodgeup »

OK then again the answer is yes

Thanks

JK
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks. Then please go on with opening a case, this needs to be investigated closer.
bodgeup
Influencer

Post by bodgeup »

Is anyone else running the latest build having similar issues? Or does your Items restore work?

Its just very strange that I should see similar issue on 2 separate installs. One sees the domain but cannot search Mailboxes the other cannot see the domain or search mailboxes, but both cannot see Exchange / SQL restore points on Enterprise manage portal.

This is what made me wonder if id missed an installation step?

Thanks

JK
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

bodgeup wrote:This is what made me wonder if id missed an installation step?
Our support team would be able to verify that pretty quickly. Based on what I see, everything is set up correctly.
bodgeup
Influencer

[MERGED] V9 Enterprise Manager Self Service Portal cant see

Post by bodgeup »

I am trying to use Self Service portal to allow end users to restore certain VM's and items, but for some reason I cant see our SQL server under SQL items. In the console its there and i am able to do Item level restore, why wouldnt it show in the portal. Do i need special permissions on the SQL server? The only SQL server available is the DB on the veeam server itself, i want our main SQL server.

Any ideas?

Thanks

JK
kclo
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: kai Cheong LO

[MERGED] Strange behavior in Enterprise backup Manager 9.0

Post by kclo »

I have setup Veeam Backup & Restore 9.0 with VMWare VCloud Director 5.6

1) Difference in the Restore Points
I have created a backupjob for a VM with 10 restore points. After complete around 10-20 backup tasks,
Veeam backup & restore console shows only 10 restore points
Veeam Enterprise Manager shows more than 10 restore points(like 20)

2) Backuped VM disappear
I have setup two backup job for two VMs
backup job : backupjob1 backup VMA
backup job : backupjob2 backup VMB

Delete VMB from VCloud Director.
Veeam backup & restore console can find VMB and carry out restore
Veeam Enterprise Manager can't find VMB for restore

Any advise or similar experience
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

[MERGED] Strange behavior in Enterprise backup Manager 9.0

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Veeam backup & restore console shows only 10 restore points
Veeam backup & restore console can find VMB and carry out restore
By default, Enterprise Manager collects data from backup servers every 15 minutes. What is your interval? You can check that by selecting Configuration > Backup Servers > Schedule.

If nothing changes even after interval expiration then please open a case with our support team as this might be a bug. Please don't forget to post your case ID.

Thank you.
Kev Parr
Novice
Full Name: Kevin Parr

Post by Kev Parr »

I have a similar issue. The job on the B&R server is set 30 restore points and the files on the data domain seem to match that config. When i look in Enterprise Manager --> VM list, the same VM shows over 100 restore points? Ar the 2 out of sync or is this a mis-configuration somewhere on my part?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Kev Parr wrote:The job on the B&R server is set 30 restore points and the files on the data domain seem to match that config
How many restore points do you see when launching the recovery wizard from the backup console?
Kev Parr wrote:When i look in Enterprise Manager --> VM list, the same VM shows over 100 restore points? Ar the 2 out of sync or is this a mis-configuration somewhere on my part?
Do you possibly have some archive copies for the VMs in question?
Kev Parr
Novice

Post by Kev Parr »

Hi Vitaly - thanks for the response.

When launching any restore type jobs from the B&R console i see the 30 restore points I expect to see. It's only when using EM that i see more. Some of the VM's have over 100 restore points showing in EM. I haven't tried to restore anything older than 30 days but I'd expect it to fail if i did. I am just curious as to why one console would show 30 and the other show more than 30? I'm guessing it's something to do with the EM database and Veeam database becoming out of sync?

My colleague has raised a support call for this so we'll see how that goes.
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Post by chrisdearden »

Kev, I think EM will hold onto indexes for longer than the job retention as long as you have ent licencing and above - this may be why you are seeing more points in EM. Open up Em and go to configuration and Settings , then have a look at the Guest file system Catalog settings.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, Chris, but I still think that the number of restore points should correlate to the actual number taken from the backup console.

Kev, please post your case ID for future readers/reference.
Kev Parr
Novice

Post by Kev Parr »

The case number is 01841519 and its now been resolved. The EM database has been recreated and all restore points now match up in both EM and the B&R console. Seems there was some corruption when we upgraded to V9 as the jobs created post upgrade seemed to be work as expected.

Thanks for the help. I hope this helps someone else.
Kev Parr
Novice

Post by Kev Parr »

Update to this issue - the problem has returned and we have EM reporting more restore points than the B&R console. We have been advised that this is a known bug that is fixed in 9.5 but the workaround of re-creating the EM DB still remains. Just thought i'd post this in case it helps anyone else in the same scenario.