Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
zadrian
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Veeam 9 Enterprise Manager - Revoke License Hang

Post by zadrian »

Hi, I have only just upgraded from Veeam 8.0.8026 to the version 9.

I have 3 sites : HQ servers 5x ESXi hosts (2 CPU each) + 1 ESXi host (2 CPU, used to house replicas), Site 1 servers 1x ESXi host (1 CPU each) + 1 ESXi host (1 CPU, used to house replicas) and Site 2 servers 1x ESXi host (1 CPU each) + 1 ESXi host (1 CPU, used to house replicas). I have 13 Veeam CPU licenses as I kept 1 as spare.

I do have this issue when I first logged into the Enterprise manager which shows I was out of license.
Somehow after the upgrade, I see that Veeam has used 14 CPUs by adding the HQ host which was used to store the Veeam replica into the mix.
I tried to revoke the ESXi host's license but a pop-up that says "wait'" with a recurring progress bar appeared and stayed there for almost 45 minutes until I restarted the browser (Chrome).

Please kindly advise if this this normal ?
Also how can I prevent the accidental deployment of license as I am the only person managing the Veeam solution and I do not remember issuing any veeam license to the ESXi hosts.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Veeam 9 Enterprise Manager - Revoke License Hang

Post by Shestakov »

Hi
zadrian wrote:Somehow after the upgrade, I see that Veeam has used 14 CPUs by adding the HQ host which was used to store the Veeam replica into the mix.
I tried to revoke the ESXi host's license but a pop-up that says "wait'" with a recurring progress bar appeared and stayed there for almost 45 minutes until I restarted the browser (Chrome).
Please kindly advise if this this normal ?
That doesn`t seem normal. Please contact technical support to investigate it.
zadrian wrote:Also how can I prevent the accidental deployment of license as I am the only person managing the Veeam solution and I do not remember issuing any veeam license to the ESXi hosts.
Not sure what you meant here. The only way license can be deployed automatically, if you select "Update license key automatically" checkbox.
Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

License is assigned to the host once you start actually backing up/replicating VMs residing on it. So check whether you have/had any jobs that contain VMs on this host.
DeadEyedJacks
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Dead-Data

Post by DeadEyedJacks »

Just to add that I too have experienced the Enterprise Manager just hanging and not revoking a license. This is with Firefox 44.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

David, do you still observe this behavior and have you contacted support with this issue?
Strecker25
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ryan Strecker

Post by Strecker25 »

I have a call in 15 minutes with support for the same exact issue. Two hosts show unlicensed in the enterprise manager and I cannot remove them
DeadEyedJacks
Veeam ProPartner

Post by DeadEyedJacks »

Hi Foggy, currently working on a couple of other issues with Veeam support, will revisit license management in due course.

(NB The need to have a single enterprise wide license file with a single version and edition has forced a design rethink)
Strecker25
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ryan Strecker

Post by Strecker25 » 1 person likes this post

We resolved the issue by deleted the reg key under HKLM>Software>Veeeam>Veeam Backup & Replication>License. I believe it was called lic or something, 32 bit dword.

Once deleted the product goes unlicensed and I re imported our license file. A reboot of the server cleared that error from Ent manager.
DeadEyedJacks
Veeam ProPartner

Post by DeadEyedJacks »

OK, have opened a support case 01730208 to see if there's a way to get revoke license functionality working.
Bunce
Veteran
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andrew

Post by Bunce »

Old post but happens to us often -pretty much whenever we do a hardware refresh, and the old host is decomissioned.

We generally give new hosts, new names and therefore attempt to revoke the decomissioned host.

My guess is that the code needs the host that is being revoked to be online - if not it hangs.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Andrew, you can ask support to clean up unneeded entries from the database to address that.