Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
daveshel
Novice
Liked: never

Deleting a Virtual Lab

Post by daveshel »

On Page 155 of the Veeam B&R User Guide, an Important! box cautions to delete a Virtual Lab from B&R instead of from vSphere. I deleted it from B&R and it left its components behind - the VM, a port group, a switch and who knows what else. The implication of the Important! box was that deleting it from B&R would delete it from everywhere, but this does not seem to be the case. What is the proper procedure for deleting a Virtual Lab? If I need to manually delete these remnants, is there a list of items that need to be deleted?

(The background is that I'm testing SureBackup in a new installation. I had problems creating the lab - it failed to detect my network, possibly because my environment requires that a new MAC address must be approved before it can get a DHCP address. I had to do a manual configuration. When I went to start the Recovery Verification job, it was unable to start the routing engine. I wanted to rip it out and start over but I don't want to damage my vmware infrastructure.)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Deleting a Virtual Lab

Post by Gostev »

3 things come to my mind:
1. Switch.
2. Resource pool.
3. Proxy VM folder with ISO and VM configuration files.
daveshel
Novice

Post by daveshel »

Thanks. There was no resource pool. I wonder if that was why the routing engine couldn't start.
daveshel
Novice

Post by daveshel »

OK, I'm back to trying to create this virtual lab. On the Networking step, I select Basic and get 2 error messages: first it is "Unable to automatically choose masquerade network address for non private network address [ ]. Production network name: Client VLAN." Then "Unable to resolve default network settings."

Is this something I should open a support case for? (I tried doing the advanced configuration the other day - the result was I was unable to start the routing engine.)

Thanks in advance.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, please open a support case as this kind of stuff is impossible to troubleshoot over forum messages. Thanks!
mike.suter
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Suter

Post by mike.suter » 1 person likes this post

I'm new to Veeam and in the process of setting up the backup infrastructure using Veeam B%R 6.5. I'm not sure if this is something new in the recent releases, but with I right-click the Virtual Lab and select Delete, there is a optional checkbox in the bottom left of the confirmation window that says Cleanup ESX. Checking that box and clicking ok with prompt Veeam to remove and permanently delete the Virtual Lab from the VBR server as well as the Virtual Lab VM, files, port groups, vSwitch and Resource Pool.

Hope this helps!
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

[MERGED] Deleting Virtual Lab, Does not remove resource pool

Post by Zew »

Hey there,

Was just cleaning up my one stand alone ESXi host and noticed the Virtual Lab resource pool I created a while back, I went a head and logged into Veeam server and opened up B&R and deleted the Virtual lab.

At this point I had assumed whatever the virtual lab created to exist on the selected ESXi host it would remove them. (this type of practice leads to stale objects in different environments)

Is this expected behaviour?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

There should be a check box "Remove virtual lab objects from host" when you delete the lab from Veeam B&R, have you checked that?
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Post by Zew »

Oh FFS... how did I miss that... I personally think it should be defaulted to on, and should be required to uncheck if you want to keep them.