Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
bradramsey360
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Brad Ramsey

Re: External Drive not being backed up

Post by bradramsey360 »

+1 here. Would love to have the ability to backup a CIFS share. Any chance we get an ETA on that?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No ETA yet, but it is on our radar.
steveo
Lurker
Full Name: steve oppenheim

[MERGED] Feature Request: External drive and USB support

Post by steveo »

Hello,

Just a feature request to add external drive and USB support including linux extensions as well.

Many Thanks
-s
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Re: Feature Request: External drive and USB support

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Steve, thanks for the feedback! As a workaround for supporting Linux as a backup target, you can use Veeam B&R repositories (if you have this product installed).
tblime
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tommy Brame

Post by tblime »

To add another use case. We use Endpoint to backup retired laptops. I ran into a case today where the original OS was too trashed to run the backup so I am pulling the drive to backup using using a USB to SATA connector. Will have to use different product to accomplish the backup though.

-tommy
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Tommy,

I am curious is that a once time action or you are using this external connector on a daily basis. Thanks.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 » 1 person likes this post

I will jump in on Tommy's post, I have single use cases where I have pulled a hard drive, used a cradle to usb to connect to another PC and would like to take a backup of it. I have never seen it as a daily use but I have seen a need for it for one time backups.

Cheers!

PS- sorry for hijacking the tommy's post!
VMCE v9
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Ryan,

Valid use case anyway. For me, external devices are SD cards used in tablets to extend the limited disk capacity but I need more cases to push this feature further :wink:
Gruntlord6
Lurker
Full Name: Dylan Hunt

Post by Gruntlord6 »

I would like to use this to backup drives mounted through an external docking station.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 » 1 person likes this post

Hi Dmitry!

I have a case with 3 drives that are rotated through a USB docking station attached to a PC. If I was able to back up those USB connected drives and get that backup data into a repository that would be great.
VMCE v9
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks guys - all your thoughts are carefully noted! Keep it coming :wink:
tblime
Novice

Post by tblime »

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. This kind of falls on and off the radar. The question posed was if this is a daily or one time issue. It's not daily by any means but I wouldn't consider it a one time occurrence either as we only NEED to use USB drives as backup sources when the drive or OS is trashed. I could envision us setting up a dedicated system to connect HDDs USB to SATA connector and utilize it for all archive system backups. (We would never need to boot the systems, only retrieve user data down the road.) The dedicated system would be a lot easier than install VEB on each retiring system just to run a backup...
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Tommy,

Thanks for getting back to us! It sounds like performing one time backup (not affected by retention, or at least USB volumes should be always merged and never erased unless user wants it) and archive the USB data in central location, right?
TroyResources
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: TroyResourcesLimited

Post by TroyResources »

You guys been busy with version 9 so following up on my post from Wed Jul 08, 2015

Any updates as yet?
Vitaliy S. wrote:Yes, this is a pretty popular feature request, thanks for your kind words on the existing version.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No updates, as there were no major releases for VEB yet. Thanks!
tblime
Novice

Post by tblime » 1 person likes this post

Dima P. wrote:Tommy,

Thanks for getting back to us! It sounds like performing one time backup (not affected by retention, or at least USB volumes should be always merged and never erased unless user wants it) and archive the USB data in central location, right?
That is correct. It would really simplify our retirement/disposal methods and allow us to fold all retiring end-user computers into a central repo. Right now, we backup using best available method, depending on the situation, and the archives are scattered.

Utilizing USB backup via VEB, we could further utilize our Veeam investment and (better) justify the ongoing use of it. :wink:
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Tommy,

Thanks for getting back to us and sharing your thoughts. We will take this feedback to the internal feature discussions for sure!
vnavna
Influencer
Full Name: Steve Vujnovich

Post by vnavna »

Has there been any update on an ETA on the addition of this feature yet?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately, we do not have any ETA yet. Can you please share your personal use case for this feature request? Thanks in advance.
vnavna
Influencer
Full Name: Steve Vujnovich

Post by vnavna »

We use a USB to SATA connection to backup hard drives to a location after an initial install. The only problem is that Veeam Endpoint Backup does not see any storage connected to to a USB as a possible backup source. I have gone and bought a eSATA docking station with eSATA card to be able to backup the drives.
It would be nice to be able to backup from a USB connected drive in the future.

Thanks
Gruntlord6
Lurker
Full Name: Dylan Hunt

Post by Gruntlord6 »

Any updates on this?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Dylan,

Nu updates on this yet. We released VEB 1.5 a few weeks ago with some enhancements and fixes (including the much wanted email functionality and more) and started to work on the next version now

Cheers

Mike
SBGPInstrSpec
Lurker

[MERGED] Volume Level Backup of USB Attached Storage

Post by SBGPInstrSpec »

Hi,

I have seen some requests back in March 2015 regarding this issue. I am curious as to where it currently stands?

I would like to be able to backup either Full, Volume, or File Level of a HDD attached via USB. I can't fathom why a USB attached storage should be treated any differently.

We often have PCs that come close to failing (Windows won't boot, and the HDD is suspect), and the first thing we like to do is remove the HDD, and connect it to a USB-SATA converter.

I see no reason why USB attached storage should be excluded!?

Mike
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Mike,

Thanks for sharing your use case. This request is in the list of potential improvements, so your vote is counted.
asteinba
Lurker

Post by asteinba »

Hey guys,

any updates on this?

Regards,
Angelo
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

There were no updates yet. This feature is still on our radar.
guebert
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

[MERGED] Backup OF (not to) USB-Sticks?

Post by guebert »

Hallo!

Because we use Veeam Endpoint to backup some of our clients, i'd like to suggest a new feature: Backup USB-Sticks. They might get lost/defect and it seems, that nobody makes backups on regularly basis.

I think of a feature in the Endpoint Client "Backup of removeable storage media". When I connect such a medium, VEB should start copy all data after some minutes of idle (!) time to a backup repository.

It might be useful to have the option, to specify, that only selected sticks will be backed-up (eg "my" personal data stick at my bunch of keys, which is encryped with bitlocker).

What do you think about it?

Michael
jmcnemar
Novice
Full Name: j mcnemar

Post by jmcnemar »

Do you have any news or release dates for enabling back up of internal but always mounted drives on removable media? This is a critical need for those of us who use SD cards or USB in lieu of 'the cloud' to extend the paltry fixed internal storage included with even high end Windows tablets. You need to add that "D:" drive in order to use the tablet to replace a bulky laptop or desktop PC. it may be even larger than your system disk and ideal for storing apps and data. Veeam Endpoint Backup could be a great tool for backing up and recovering, but it is pretty useless if it cannot really back up my entire tablet PC. Even worse, the 'external' limitation is not well known and may be confused with LAN shares, typically an entirely different animal not used to store executables for a device with mobile capabilities. Many users of your current product may actually think it is backing up all of the storage physically contained on their devices and only discover it is not when they need to recover. Please at least add the capability for backup of supplemental permanent storage as used in tablet PCs. Thank you
Crickets are not Optional
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi guys,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts regarding this feature request – its highly appreciated. We will discuss your feedback with the team.
oyvindo
Novice
Full Name: Oyvind Overby

Post by oyvindo »

Dima P. wrote:Thanks for sharing your thoughts regarding this feature request – its highly appreciated. We will discuss your feedback with the team.
@Dima P. You've been saying this for over a year now! Isn't it high time your team actually gets around to doing what we all are asking for? I mean - how hard can it be ?!?
According to Windows 10 Disk Manager, external USB volumes are equally valid volumes as are internal HDD's. This should be a piece of cake and a walk in the park to implement!