Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
tntteam
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: tntteam

Contact groups based on business view or VI folder path

Post by tntteam »

Hi there,

It's hard to switch to veeam one when you have nagios habits :)
Can someone tell me how to assign specific email for all alerts based on business view groups ou VI infrastructure path ?

Like :

vcenter
--->Datacenter
--->--->TeamA
--->--->--->VMs...
--->--->TeamB
--->--->--->VMs...

I have the business view dynamic groups OK, but can't find how to assign email on a per group basis. Alarms for VMs in "TeamA" should be sent to teama@mail.com and "TeamB" to teamb@mail.com obviously.
Also I wish I could assign email based on VI Infrastructure view but as far as I can see, Veeam one don't like vmware folders...

I find very non intuitive to have a "default contact group" when you can't create other groups ?

Site note : Having to switch between veeam one monitor and web interface to achieve simple operations is annoying.

How do you do it ? Best option would be link a "contact" to a "group" then each alarm fired by members of this group would be sent to the linked contact.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Contact groups based on business view or VI folder path

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,

You should be using this approach to do that.
tntteam wrote:Site note : Having to switch between veeam one monitor and web interface to achieve simple operations is annoying.
Do you refer to BV groups configuration here or to some other simple operations?

Thanks!
tntteam
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: tntteam

Post by tntteam »

Hi there,

Yes I'm referring to BV groups configuration, but it's not a big deal.

So I have to copy every alarms in "alarms management", then edit each copy one by one to make the name of the alarm looks like "[TeamA] Alarm CPU", then edit all the [TeamA] alarms once and change the notification email.

I think that's too much hassle for me, as I have to do this for 5 teams. Isn't there a clever way ? You should take the nagios approach on this, and give us the possibility to attach contact groups to hosts.

Also, could you tell me why VMware logical view (blue folders) is not available in Veeam one ?
Because obviously 99% of people organize their VMs using VMware blue folders, it would save a lot of time if we could make groups using these blue folders. Using a GUI would be the best, but adding the "child-of" notion in the dynamic group rules would be a good start.
I don't know any vi admin that have only 1 level of subdirectory for their blue folders logical view.

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

tntteam wrote:So I have to copy every alarms in "alarms management", then edit each copy one by one to make the name of the alarm looks like "[TeamA] Alarm CPU", then edit all the [TeamA] alarms once and change the notification email.

I think that's too much hassle for me, as I have to do this for 5 teams. Isn't there a clever way ? You should take the nagios approach on this, and give us the possibility to attach contact groups to hosts.
Yes, I agree that currently it is not an ideal way. If you could share a bit more details on which alarms you want to copy, I will ask our dev team if there is any workaround with SQL scripts or not.
tntteam wrote: Also, could you tell me why VMware logical view (blue folders) is not available in Veeam one ?
Because obviously 99% of people organize their VMs using VMware blue folders, it would save a lot of time if we could make groups using these blue folders. Using a GUI would be the best, but adding the "child-of" notion in the dynamic group rules would be a good start.
I don't know any vi admin that have only 1 level of subdirectory for their blue folders logical view.
It should be possible to categorize VM based on the folders too. I have replied you in another thread.