Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dcolpitts
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Dean Colpitts

What determines the backup order when selecting entire VC?

Post by dcolpitts »

So this may sound like a stupid question but.... What determines the backup order when someone selects the entire VC, or the entire DC/Cluster or folder for backup instead of individual VMs? We've selected an entire VC to be backed up so that we don't have to remember to add new (future) VMs to the job, but the downside in selecting the entire Virtual Center is that we can't adjust the order that the VMs are backed up. So I'm just wondering what within Veeam 9 (in this case) determines the backup order, and whether we are able to manipulate this in any way, shape or form?

We have a few VMs we'd like to backup at the very beginning of the job before others (due to multiple job concurrency).

dcc
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Re: What determines the backup order when selecting entire V

Post by alanbolte »

If I recall correctly, you can put individual VMs above a container, and they'll be processed first, and only once.

I don't think we run any kind of sort against the list of VMs we get from the vCenter. If you open the vCenter managed object browser and browse by datastore, you'll see the same order of VMs.
dcolpitts
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Dean Colpitts

Post by dcolpitts »

Oh - that is interesting (adding singles above)... I don't recall that in the VMCE 7/8 training (I've been on the road and haven't looked at that V9 docs yet). If this is correct (and I'll test it with tomorrow nights backups as tonight's just kicked off 30 minutes ago), then SWEET!!!!

Thanks

dcc
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

I'm pretty sure the list is simply in the same order as returned when querying vCenter, and used as is. I'm not sure what's the sort process used by vCenter tough.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
readie
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bob Eadie

Post by readie » 1 person likes this post

Alphabetically, I am pretty sure, both of folders and VMs within each folder (which is why we named our subfolders 'critical', 'high', 'normal' and 'unused' to get them in order of priority! Though unused doesn't exactly mean that!). That seems to be the order Veeam uses too. So if the idea of adding single VMs above the object doesn't appeal, think of some interesting names for folders - and I think it works for nested folders if required.
Bob Eadie
Computer Manager at Bedford School, UK (since 1999).
Veeam user since 2009.
haslund
VeeaMVP
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Post by haslund » 1 person likes this post

dcolpitts wrote:Oh - that is interesting (adding singles above)... I don't recall that in the VMCE 7/8 training (I've been on the road and haven't looked at that V9 docs yet). If this is correct (and I'll test it with tomorrow nights backups as tonight's just kicked off 30 minutes ago), then SWEET!!!!
I can confirm this works.
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com
msbin
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by msbin »

alanbolte wrote: Feb 23, 2016 3:56 am If I recall correctly, you can put individual VMs above a container, and they'll be processed first, and only once.

I don't think we run any kind of sort against the list of VMs we get from the vCenter. If you open the vCenter managed object browser and browse by datastore, you'll see the same order of VMs.
Unfortunatelly it doesnt work for me. VM is backed up twice instead once. I use VBR 9.5 Update 4B.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: What determines the backup order when selecting entire VC?

Post by foggy »

How do you tell it is backed up twice? Do you see it twice in the list of VMs being processed?