What determines the backup order when selecting entire VC?

VMware specific discussions

What determines the backup order when selecting entire VC?

Veeam Logoby dcolpitts » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:28 am

So this may sound like a stupid question but.... What determines the backup order when someone selects the entire VC, or the entire DC/Cluster or folder for backup instead of individual VMs? We've selected an entire VC to be backed up so that we don't have to remember to add new (future) VMs to the job, but the downside in selecting the entire Virtual Center is that we can't adjust the order that the VMs are backed up. So I'm just wondering what within Veeam 9 (in this case) determines the backup order, and whether we are able to manipulate this in any way, shape or form?

We have a few VMs we'd like to backup at the very beginning of the job before others (due to multiple job concurrency).

dcc
dcolpitts
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Dean Colpitts

Re: What determines the backup order when selecting entire V

Veeam Logoby alanbolte » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:56 am

If I recall correctly, you can put individual VMs above a container, and they'll be processed first, and only once.

I don't think we run any kind of sort against the list of VMs we get from the vCenter. If you open the vCenter managed object browser and browse by datastore, you'll see the same order of VMs.
alanbolte
Expert

Liked: 170 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Veeam Logoby dcolpitts » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:00 am

Oh - that is interesting (adding singles above)... I don't recall that in the VMCE 7/8 training (I've been on the road and haven't looked at that V9 docs yet). If this is correct (and I'll test it with tomorrow nights backups as tonight's just kicked off 30 minutes ago), then SWEET!!!!

Thanks

dcc
dcolpitts
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Dean Colpitts

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:58 pm

I'm pretty sure the list is simply in the same order as returned when querying vCenter, and used as is. I'm not sure what's the sort process used by vCenter tough.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1330 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby readie » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:54 pm 1 person likes this post

Alphabetically, I am pretty sure, both of folders and VMs within each folder (which is why we named our subfolders 'critical', 'high', 'normal' and 'unused' to get them in order of priority! Though unused doesn't exactly mean that!). That seems to be the order Veeam uses too. So if the idea of adding single VMs above the object doesn't appeal, think of some interesting names for folders - and I think it works for nested folders if required.
Bob Eadie
Computer Manager at Bedford School, UK (since 1999).
Veeam user since 2009.
readie
Expert

Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bob Eadie

Veeam Logoby haslund » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:08 am

dcolpitts wrote:Oh - that is interesting (adding singles above)... I don't recall that in the VMCE 7/8 training (I've been on the road and haven't looked at that V9 docs yet). If this is correct (and I'll test it with tomorrow nights backups as tonight's just kicked off 30 minutes ago), then SWEET!!!!

I can confirm this works.
Rasmus Haslund
Principal Technologist, Global Education Services @ Veeam Software
Veeam Certified Architect #1 | Veeam Certified Trainer #4 [v7,v8,v9] | Veeam Certified Trainer Mentor #1
Twitter: @haslund
Blog: www.perfectcloud.org
haslund
Veeam Software

Liked: 50 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Return to VMware vSphere