Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jbarrow.viracoribt
Expert
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Jonathan Barrow

The redo log of XYZ.vmdk is corrupted

Post by jbarrow.viracoribt »

We have been getting hammered with these errors on VM's lately.

Seems like every morning we come in and have a VM down. We look in vCenter and we see this message.

You click okay, the VM powers off. You can then power it back on and it looks as if it crashed.

I'm not sure what is causing this. The only activities taking place are snapshots being requested by Veeam for these VM's in the middle of the night.

We have a case open with VMware (first shot at troubleshooting) but I figured I would share this here and see if anyone else has come across this issue recently.

We are running a 5.5 environment and this has continued to happen even after updating our hosts and vcenter to the latest patch.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: The redo log of XYZ.vmdk is corrupted

Post by foggy »

Jonathan, do Veeam B&R jobs complete without errors? Do you see this happening to different (random?) VMs? Do you see the files mentioned in the vCenter message on the datastore?
jbarrow.viracoribt
Expert
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Jonathan Barrow

Post by jbarrow.viracoribt »

No, when this happens, the VM's start failing in the B&R jobs. I haven't checked to see if the files are there, I will the next time I see the error. We usually just click yes and move on.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

What transport mode do you use to backup those failing virtual machines, is it virtual appliance transport mode by any chance? Also please check this article in order to make sure that no Snapshot Consolidation is needed.

Thank you.