Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
cata81
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Cristian

Info about password

Post by cata81 »

Hi Veeam,

Like many people I use Veaam Endpoint Backup to protect my computer by Ransomwares, I use a NAS to store the backups and I've create on it a backup user with a strong password and I use this user with VEB (of course I don't map the share on computer).

My concern is about how VEB store the id and password I use to connect to the NAS, because I guess one of the next steps of this ransomwares is to try to catch the passwords of backup softwares and encrypt also the backups.

I know you cannot give us any guarantee, but if you can say something about the password storage would make us more aware of the risks we take.

Thanks,
Cristian
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Info about password

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Credentials specified in jobs settings are stored in the VEB’s database. I doubt that malware can connect to the DB, ‘brootforce’ the internal randomly generated password VEB service uses for connection to the database – so you can sleep safe. I’d rather make sure that local account your users are using does not have access to the said file share.
lxk3il
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Lukas

Post by lxk3il »

Good to know, thanks for clarification Dima!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

You are welcome. If any questions arise – do not hesitate asking.
cata81
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Cristian

Post by cata81 »

Dima P. wrote:Hi,

Credentials specified in jobs settings are stored in the VEB’s database. I doubt that malware can connect to the DB, ‘brootforce’ the internal randomly generated password VEB service uses for connection to the database – so you can sleep safe. I’d rather make sure that local account your users are using does not have access to the said file share.
Thanks for your answer it makes me more comfortable :)