Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
neilmurphy65
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Neil Murphy

License gets reassigned automatically

Post by neilmurphy65 »

Hi All,

I'm just wondering if anyone has seen this issue before. A customer of mine has a cluster that is fully licensed. Recently, they temporarily added another standalone host in order to backup a single VM. They did not purchase any additional licensing. That backup ran successfully but when the nightly backup ran later that day, several VMs on another host were not backed up. It seems that adding a host can result in a socket license being reassigned i.e. the license used by one host can be taken away and given to the newly added host.

Has anyone seen this happen before? Does it even seem possible that a license could be reassigned without warning the user?

Thanks,
Neil.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: License gets reassigned automatically

Post by veremin »

Hi, Neil,

Can you go to Menu -> Help -> License -> Licensed Hosts and provide us with the information present there? How many hosts you see listed? How many licensed sockets you have? How many are in use and how many are remaining?

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Basically, this shouldn't be the case, unless they've manually revoked license from one of the existing hosts. I'd contact technical support for verification. Thanks.
neilmurphy65
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Neil Murphy

Post by neilmurphy65 »

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I understand that the customer has returned the setup to its original setup so the issue was resolved some weeks ago so the management GUI probably won't show whatb the problem was at this stage. However, I was asked if I could explain how it may have happened. If, as you say Foggy, it shouldn't happen without the license being manually revoked from one of the existing hosts, then the most likely explanation is that the operator did revoke the license but hasn't admitted it to anyone.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Most likely, this is the case. Let us know, if you manage to find that out from the customer.