Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
velotime
Novice
Liked: never

Replication from Backup Copy architecture question

Post by velotime »

I'm starting to setup replication to our DR site and I have a couple questions about the architecture if this.

Current setup is as follows.
Production site has a virtual B&R Server (B&R-1) backing up VMs to local DAS storage on the host. This same B&R server is also running the Backup Copy jobs to our DR site.

The DR site contains a Dell VRTX (shared infrastructure box) with 2 of the 4 server nodes populated. One server node is Running Server 2008R2 and is acting as the target/repository for the BU Copy Jobs. I have also just installed B&R Server (B&R-2) on this as well to run the replication jobs.

The 2nd node on the VRTX has ESXi installed and will be the target host for the replication jobs.

I'd like to run the replication jobs from the backup copy repository so I don't have to send disks over or try and replicate some of the large VMS over the WAN.
So my question is as follows. Can I point B&R-2 at the same repository that B&R-1 is using for the BU Copy jobs? I think i read that you can only do this seed replication jobs from BU Copies if its on the same server but I'm not sure.

Another thing I just realized is that B&R2 would be better off installed on a VM on the replication hosts correct? That way I can leverage the VM transport modes and also make fail over easier. Not sure how I missed that.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Replication from Backup Copy architecture question

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
Note that VBR server 1 is unaware of backups created by VBR server 2. So if you want to leverage replica from backup you need to either schedule it using the same backup server or perform backup repository rescan each time you run the replication job to make it aware of newly copied backup files.
velotime
Novice

Post by velotime »

Thanks. I think that was the issue I ran into when I tried to create the Replicas from backup. It actually didn't even show me any backups to select once I used that repository as the source.

I'm moving the Backup Copy jobs to the VBR-2 at the DR site now. Looks like the easiest way might be to import the configuration backup from the production site and then remove all but the backup copy jobs.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Don`t forget to grant a proxy role to one of the servers on production site if performing backups remotely.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

velotime wrote:I'm moving the Backup Copy jobs to the VBR-2 at the DR site now.
But this way the same issue arises for the backup copy job.
crazzyeddie
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Will

Post by crazzyeddie » 2 people like this post

velotime wrote: I'd like to run the replication jobs from the backup copy repository so I don't have to send disks over or try and replicate some of the large VMS over the WAN.
You can totally do this! You simply need to create the Replication jobs on B&R-1, then in the Virtual Machine section, choose "Source..." and limit the repositories to your backup copy repository at the DR. This way the backup copy is the source, and the data only needs to travel from the repository to the ESXi datastores locally; no WAN!

My only recommendation is to keep a copy of your configuration backup from B&R-1 at the DR Site so that if you ever need to work with the backup copy jobs on B&R-2 (in a DR) you can import the config (would not be needed for your replicas if you just need to brute-force them on in VMware in a true disaster, but RTFM ;) )
velotime
Novice

Post by velotime »

foggy wrote: But this way the same issue arises for the backup copy job.
Ahh, I see. Then the Backup Copy jobs wouldn't be able to see the associated backup jobs correct? Duh..
Has anyone ever ran a script to rescan the repository before the replication jobs? It seems like that might be kind of a clunky solution...

The more I look at this Enterprise Manager might just be the easier solution.

I'd really like to not have to import a configuration in the event of a DR.

I suppose I could run everything from the DR site.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

What you can do is to deploy proxy server on the source site for backups and use target VBR server for backup-backup copy-replication.
To perform local restores on the source site, you can leverage Backup & Replication Console.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

velotime wrote:Has anyone ever ran a script to rescan the repository before the replication jobs? It seems like that might be kind of a clunky solution...
Here's another similar discussion that has a link to such script.