Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ronniecoleman
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ronnie Coleman

File level backup: Unchecking files after volume selected

Post by ronniecoleman »

Hi there,

I just came across this situation in the backup mode "File Level Backup" and its hybrid mode when selecting files in the next step:

1) If I select a single folder of an expanded volume, the volume will get the info "file level backup" added.

2) If I select a complete volume, the info "volume level backup" will show up.
Now if I then expand this volume and uncheck one of its folders, it still shows "volume level backup". Is this intended - to be able to exclude files from a volume level backup? It's not a bug that it does not automatically switches to the "file level backup"?
The user guide didn't really straighten this out for the backup here I think (on page 11 or here it only mentions the possibily of selecting individual files from a volume backup when recovering, but not for the backup process).

If it is not a bug: Then could someone please clarify for this backup mode, what's exactly the benefit of doing an explicit-and-only file level backup (see 1)) instead of a volume backup plus selecting the needed files only (see 2)), when the file-level recovery later on is even capable of restoring single files/folders from a volume level backup?
This may be a beginner question, but the result (possibility of restoring individual items) looks the same for me.

Thank you very much :-).
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: File level backup: Unchecking files after volume selecte

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome Ronnie,
Is this intended - to be able to exclude files from a volume level backup? It's not a bug that it does not automatically switches to the "file level backup"?
Its not a bug, by unchecking the specific folder you actually exclude the folder from the volume level backup to make backup file more lightweight. File level recovery remains possible even for volume level backup. File level backup is needed for specific folder backup only i.e. some photos or docs.

Check this blog post - it might help to clarify some questions: Veeam Endpoint Backup Free: Backup modes in depth
ronniecoleman
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ronnie Coleman

Post by ronniecoleman »

Thanks Dmitry for clarifying this! Also this here is a good reason to use the file-level backup instead: https://www.veeam.com/kb2073 :)

Regards
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Exclusions and inclusions filters specifically supported by file level backup. True, that this article applies to volume level backup as well, when you uncheck the folder with lots of file inside. Little spoiler – we will have this fixed in the upcoming update :wink: