Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
estpierre
Lurker
Liked: never

Backup Proxy Error

Post by estpierre »

Figured I'd post this here to see if anyone had any insight.

Our Veeam server is a physical that has direct connection to our storage network. Our backup proxy uses Direct SAN access mode with no failover to network mode as we have restrictions on running backups via our production network.

All SAN volumes are presented directly to the Veeam server via iSCSI initiator. All volumes show "Connected" in iSCSI Initiator and all disks are present in Disk Management. Most of our backup jobs finish properly, however, we've got a few jobs that are failing with the following error:

Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: No backup proxy is able to process this VM due to proxy processing mode restrictions

Here's the weird part: when going through the list of VMs that are failing with this error (it's not every VM in the jobs that are failing, just a handful in each job), some of them are currently sitting on volumes that also house other VMs that backup without a problem (i.e. Server 1 and Server 2 are both housed on LUN001. Server 1 backs up fine but Server 2 is giving the error message).

Windows Updates were run on the Veeam server yesterday, including SQL Server updates (SQL 2012 SP3). I'm not convinced this is the issue as not all jobs are failing (and not every VM is affected). This error only started with the latest round of backup attempts. Our backups have been working fine until now.

Anyone have any ideas as to what this might be? I'd consider it a connection issue with the storage volumes but since some backups work and others don't I'm not sure. I've got a case open with support but so far haven't gotten very far.

Support Case #01721009

Forgot to add: We're running Veeam B&R v9 and the server is running Windows Server 2012 R2.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup Proxy Error

Post by Dima P. »

Hi estpierre,

Are you sure that the said proxies have enough resources to process this jobs? There was a good KB article describing all possible reasons, kindly take a look - Unable to allocate processing resources
estpierre
Lurker

Post by estpierre »

Dima,
Yes, I'm sure. Nothing else is attempting to use the proxy when I'm re-trying one of the failed jobs nor is anything else writing to the repository (It's an Exagrid repository and I've confirmed that deduplication is complete, so no activity is happening on the Exagrid side). That was the first KB I looked at when I came in this morning. I've also attempted to reboot the Veeam server to make sure the proxy wasn't holding onto something but the error still persists.

Additionally, we haven't made any changes to the proxy settings. Up until today, these backups have been completing without an issue.
owenw
Influencer
Full Name: Infrastructure Team

Post by owenw »

Hi,

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but Im having exactly the same issue here.

Im running Veeam 9.0.0.1715 on WIndows Server 2012 R2.

Veeam throws the error "Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: No backup proxy is able to process this VM due to proxy processing mode restrictions." when backing up a couple of VMs which are part of a bigger job.

VMs are on the same LUN as other VMs which are backed up successfully within the same Veam Job, so its not access to the LUN or VM thats the issue.

This started last week when some VMs were migrated from one LUN to another. This hasnt affected all of the VMs that were moved however. This has affected only 2.

I have rebooted Veeam and confirmed nothing else is going on (proxy/storage) at the time of the jobs. The failure is a consistent one which happens every backup for the same 2 VMs.

Can anyone shed any light on previous solutions to this, other than the obligatory "reboot veeam"? :D

Cheers
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Owen,

One does not simply reboot Veeam :-)

On a serious note, it might be better that you log a support case (and follow up this thread with the support case). From what I can read, (correct me if I am wrong) there are multiple VMs that have been migrated to another LUN and only 2 of them are receiving this issue. Correct? Those other moved VM's are backing up without any issues. Are these specific VMs (meaning specific workload, specific "hardware"...). Again, I think it is best that you create that support call. We can guess here and come up with lot's of things to check, but support will be much faster in figuring out what is going on

Hope it helps
Mike
elapshov
Veeam Software

Post by elapshov »

Owen, before you create the support call - please try to rescan that another LUN, and then - rescan backup infrastructure
owenw
Influencer
Full Name: Infrastructure Team

Post by owenw »

Hi,

Thanks.
Ive done this in Disk Management and can see the LUN.
I was looking for this im Veeam but cant find the option.

I know the LUN can be seen however as there are a dozen or so other VMs on this same new LUN which are backing up successfully.

Also when I navigate into the backup job and select Add VM, Im able to drill into the datastore and see the working and non working VMs listed.

Regards
Owen
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Rescan command is available in the server's shortcut menu, under the Backup Infrastructure node.
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 65 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Post by RubinCompServ »

I know that this is a REALLY late response, but I just had the same issue, and the cause appears to be that I am trying to run a backup from storage snapshot job against a VM that has a VMware snapshot on it, and BfSS doesn't like machines with VM snapshots.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi David, yes, this is one of the limitations, which has effect in case of NFS datastores.