Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
sibinsam
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Sibin Sam

Replicate Veeam Endpoint Backups

Post by sibinsam »

Hi,
One of our customers have a mix of physical and virtual servers running on Hyper-V. They are planning to implement a disaster recovery solution. We would like to pitch for Veeam B&R. If we take the backup of the physical servers using VEB will it be possible for us to replicate them to virtual machines in the DR site.
When I create a new replication job, there is an option to select the repository containing endpoint backups. This should work right?
Has anybody done a similar setup like this?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Replicate Veeam Endpoint Backups

Post by Dima P. »

Hello sibinsam,

The replication for physical machines is not supported. However, you can still use a backup copy to store VEB backups across multiple sites.
sibinsam
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Sibin Sam

Post by sibinsam »

Thank you for a quick reply. Just curious, will this scenario work?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

You are welcome! If we are still talking about replication, you cant select the physical machine as a source for replication. Yes, repository might be visible but that won’t work.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Post by pkelly_sts »

Can I tag a related query to this one?

We've been using Endpoint very well to back up a physical machine to a local Veeam repository, and because it's small, copied that to an offsite repository.

I'd like to add a second but larger physical machine (hoping to move away from BExec for our last remaining physical boxes) which would be too large to manage the copy of the first full backup over the WAN to our remote site.

So, if I do a local backup, what's the best way to seed a backup copy to another remote repository? Is it similar to standard copy seeding? Would it be easiest to copy it to another local repository, then move the files to the remote repository & just re-map the job?

(Looking at my existing Endpoint Backup copy job there doesn't seem to be a "map backup" option unless it's somewhere else?)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

You are welcome to do it :wink:
So, if I do a local backup, what's the best way to seed a backup copy to another remote repository?
There is no way to map the locally created backup due the metadata difference (if we are talking about backups created on internal storage or shared folders). Backups stored on VBR repository can be moved between repositories and VEB job will recognize that after job reconfiguration. Just make sure that you copied all the backup files with the original folder (or name a new folder with the same name).
Is it similar to standard copy seeding? Would it be easiest to copy it to another local repository, then move the files to the remote repository & just re-map the job?
Sounds good - you should be able to do it.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Post by pkelly_sts » 1 person likes this post

Great, thanks, I'll plan on that basis then. In fact, these days I'll actually be able to do it with my Veeam tape infrastructure (as I can access a veeam tape server at each site) which even saves me having to go through the painful BExec catalog process - excellent! :-D
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Good luck Paul. Let us know how it goes :wink:
yakamoneye18
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Tobias

Post by yakamoneye18 »

Hey everyone,
is there any plan on the side of Veeam to allow reolication jobs using Endpoint backups? If not, please not this as a Feature Request:

Our DR plan is based on two points: all systems must recover quickly, and the recovery process must be as easy as possible. At the moment, we are using a secondary vmware cluster in a different building. We want to replicate all the vms to these machines, so if everything goes wrong (vm storage fails, replication storage fails...) we can just switch on the replicated machines on the secondary cluster. Our problem is, that we still have some physical servers that we backup with VEB - amongst others our domain controllers. So it would be very important for us to be able to replicate these VEB backups to the backup cluster. In my opinion it would even be enough if the source for endpoint replication would only be the backup files and never the live server.

regards,
Tobias
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Tobias,

Unfortunately Veeam Agent for Windows (former Veeam Endpoint Backup) does not have this functionality now, but I've added you vote to this feature request. Thanks for sharing your use case!
DeanGTS
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dean Scaife

Post by DeanGTS »

Hi Tobias,

I believe I've just done what you're asking.. I captured physical with Veeam Agent and used this to build a replica in VMware, as there is only an option to restore to Azure/HyperV it seems from the B&R console.

I took the Veeam Agent backup data then built a replica myself in VMware then used the boot media you create with the Veeam Agent to restore data to this new VM.

If your doing something else then I'm lost but, if doing the same as myself I can hopefully help :)
yakamoneye18
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Tobias

Post by yakamoneye18 »

Hi Dean,

if I understand correctly what you are doing, my problem would be that this is a process that I have to do manually for every "restore point" I want to have. The good thing with replication is, I can automatically replicate the current state of the virtual server to a different virtual server, for example every hour. Doing it manually is not an option.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Side note: for Hyper-V you can perform instant vm recovery from agent backup. In case you have daily incremental backup you can power on desired service pretty fast. In last version we've added ability to perform instant recovery to Hyper-V even for Window 10 edition. Cheers!