Replicate Veeam Endpoint Backups

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Replicate Veeam Endpoint Backups

Veeam Logoby sibinsam » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:09 am

Hi,
One of our customers have a mix of physical and virtual servers running on Hyper-V. They are planning to implement a disaster recovery solution. We would like to pitch for Veeam B&R. If we take the backup of the physical servers using VEB will it be possible for us to replicate them to virtual machines in the DR site.
When I create a new replication job, there is an option to select the repository containing endpoint backups. This should work right?
Has anybody done a similar setup like this?
sibinsam
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Sibin Sam

Re: Replicate Veeam Endpoint Backups

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:58 am

Hello sibinsam,

The replication for physical machines is not supported. However, you can still use a backup copy to store VEB backups across multiple sites.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby sibinsam » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:04 pm

Thank you for a quick reply. Just curious, will this scenario work?
sibinsam
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Sibin Sam

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:34 pm

You are welcome! If we are still talking about replication, you cant select the physical machine as a source for replication. Yes, repository might be visible but that won’t work.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby pkelly_sts » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:00 am

Can I tag a related query to this one?

We've been using Endpoint very well to back up a physical machine to a local Veeam repository, and because it's small, copied that to an offsite repository.

I'd like to add a second but larger physical machine (hoping to move away from BExec for our last remaining physical boxes) which would be too large to manage the copy of the first full backup over the WAN to our remote site.

So, if I do a local backup, what's the best way to seed a backup copy to another remote repository? Is it similar to standard copy seeding? Would it be easiest to copy it to another local repository, then move the files to the remote repository & just re-map the job?

(Looking at my existing Endpoint Backup copy job there doesn't seem to be a "map backup" option unless it's somewhere else?)
[New Sig: PLEASE get GFS tape support for incrementals!!!]
pkelly_sts
Expert

Liked: 55 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:27 am

You are welcome to do it :wink:

So, if I do a local backup, what's the best way to seed a backup copy to another remote repository?

There is no way to map the locally created backup due the metadata difference (if we are talking about backups created on internal storage or shared folders). Backups stored on VBR repository can be moved between repositories and VEB job will recognize that after job reconfiguration. Just make sure that you copied all the backup files with the original folder (or name a new folder with the same name).

Is it similar to standard copy seeding? Would it be easiest to copy it to another local repository, then move the files to the remote repository & just re-map the job?

Sounds good - you should be able to do it.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby pkelly_sts » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:06 am 1 person likes this post

Great, thanks, I'll plan on that basis then. In fact, these days I'll actually be able to do it with my Veeam tape infrastructure (as I can access a veeam tape server at each site) which even saves me having to go through the painful BExec catalog process - excellent! :-D
[New Sig: PLEASE get GFS tape support for incrementals!!!]
pkelly_sts
Expert

Liked: 55 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:00 pm

Good luck Paul. Let us know how it goes :wink:
Dima P.
Veeam Software