Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lightsout
Expert
Liked: 62 times

Bitlooker for non-NTFS Filesystems

Post by lightsout »

Hey All,

Just wondering if the road-map has any Bitlooker support for non NTFS filesystems? I'd really like it for ext2/3/4 for my Linux VMs & appliances. What do you think?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Bitlooker for non-NTFS Filesystems

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

Hi,

Interesting coincidence as I was thinking about this myself recently. We're in the interesting situation here because NTFS can be found in roughly 90% of all virtual disks in VMware environments (and even more in Hyper-V). While the remaining 10% are split across like 10 other file systems, with all of them being somewhat equally popular. As the result, there is no single file system that is easy to justify adding support - as for any given file system, ROI for Veeam (value to the product) will be negligible.

On the other hand, adding support for each new file system requires huge amount of research, development and testing... so, I just can't justify spending resources on such functionality at this time.

Thanks!
lightsout
Expert
Liked: 62 times

Post by lightsout »

Even in my own environment, NTFS dominates, so this is a majority of the customer base for you covered by this. But next highest for me is Linux, especially with various Linux appliances from vendors (VMware, Cisco, etc). These are typically ext2/3/4 based VMs too. So it would be a nice long term thing if this was supported at some point. :)

Or in another way ;)

pirx
Veeam Legend
Liked: 72 times

[MERGED] Guest OS exclude for Linux VM's

Post by pirx »

Hi,

as far as I can see, it's not possible to exclude files or directories of Linux VM's.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

I was a bit surprised that it'S not even possible for ext3/4 formatted vDisks. Are there any plans to implement this feature?
jameskilbynet
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: James Kilby

Post by jameskilbynet »

Any plans to start this with REFS as 2016 starts to become more common ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I doubt that as ReFS is not designed to be a "guest" file system in the first place, at least today (you cannot even boot from it). ReFS is currently a "host" (infrastructure) file system so to speak, with primary use cases being Hyper-V datastore (on Storage Spaces only) and backup repositories. You won't see Microsoft actively promoting any other use cases at this time.

I do expect ReFS to eventually replace NTFS as the primary "guest" file system, but realistically this is not going to happen any time soon - so there's no rush to add ReFS support .
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Post by DaveWatkins »

Exchange 2016 has ReFS recommended for logs and databases, there are some required steps to do so but thats been said a couple of times from MS. So ReFS is going to see some uptake on clients for sure
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Sure, but then there are also considerations of applicability of BitLooker to those specific workloads in the first place. For example, I bet it does not happen very often that you get your mailbox databases deleted from Exchange servers? ;)

So yes, while there will be uptake - but it is hard to expect ReFS getting anywhere close to market share of even aforementioned ext any time soon (as a guest file system).
kds
Novice
Liked: never

[MERGED] VM Guest OS files/catalogs exclude

Post by kds »

Hello

Is Veeam B&R v9.0 support excluding directory's from Linux VM ?

Best regards,
Dmitry
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: VM Guest OS files/catalogs exclude

Post by jmmarton »

No, file include/exclude is part of BitLooker which currently only supports Windows (NTFS specifically).

Joe
kds
Novice
Liked: never

Re: VM Guest OS files/catalogs exclude

Post by kds »

Thank's, Joe

Is there any other method for to exclude catalog's on Linux VM ?

Best regards,
Dmitry
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Currently you can only exclude entire VM disks.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Is Veeam B&R v9.0 support excluding directory's from Linux VM ?
I'm curious about your use case, could you share some info please?
pirx
Veeam Legend
Liked: 72 times

Post by pirx »

I'm also interested in this use case. We have large Oracle/HANA (or other DB or Application) VM's where the OS and some additional files should be backed up with Veeam but the DB with a different backup tool. For Windows with SQL we can define files/directories as excludes. With Linux this is not possible right now, which make the migration to Veeam much harder.
MSMSMSMSMS
Novice
Liked: 3 times

Post by MSMSMSMSMS »

Gostev wrote:Sure, but then there are also considerations of applicability of BitLooker to those specific workloads in the first place. For example, I bet it does not happen very often that you get your mailbox databases deleted from Exchange servers? ;)
So yes, while there will be uptake - but it is hard to expect ReFS getting anywhere close to market share of even aforementioned ext any time soon (as a guest file system).
Hello Gostev,

We have a huge (for us) problem with backup of ReFS based Exchange VM's, and it seems that lack of BitLooker is to blame. We are seeing Exchange Active Full Backup sizes that are 2x times bigger than all of data in VM's combined. We have an active support case (02042104) opened, but we don't see it going in the right direction. I've also wrote a forum post (post236150.html) on that subject. Is BitLooker support for ReFS on Veeam roadmap, and if it is when can we expect it? Are there any Veeam suggested/supported workarounds that we can use to exclude backup of dirty blocks on ReFS volumes?

Best regards, MSMSMSMSMS