Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
diedmatrix
Novice
Liked: never

[Feature Requests] I would have expected a lot more...

Post by diedmatrix »

Hey,

coming from Acronis 2014 Home Edition and the only reason for me to switch is performance and major stupidity in how acronis is handling "purging" of obsolete backups, I was happy to see that my new fav ent. backup solution is also offering a solution "for home use". Sadly, I am very disappointed
  • no multiple jobs that can be configured?? oO I would like to backup a volume level every week and a folder maybe every hour or so
  • testing with volume backup showed that in 2h nothing happed on the volume but the backup was 15gb more (incremental I think) than before, that’s impossible, because nothing was happening there
  • I would like to select if incremental or differential
  • also how many backups should be kept before deleting them, or at which threshold of left free disk space before deleting old backups
  • a trigger to start backup if I was missed after the scheduled time
  • a trigger to start backup if (usb) storage is attached
  • compression ratio adjustment
The be honest, just take a look what Acroni is able to in VERSION 2014!( they removed something very important in the newer versions!) and implement these in your software and then I would even pay for it too! But for the moment I will remove it and wait 1-2 years until all this is going to be fixed.... :(

By the way, the website was telling me version 1.5, but the only available version is 1.1??

Greetings
diedmatrix
Novice

Re: [Feature Requests] I would have expected a lot more...

Post by diedmatrix »

i would also add:

- exluding specific data endings/folders, like recyclebin or page/swapfile
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6691 times

Post by Gostev »

Hello!

Hmm, sorry but are you sure you actually installed OUR product? :D

Because good half of the features you are asking for we did have since the beginning.

For example, an option to backup on storage attach is simply impossible to miss on the scheduling step...

There is an ability to exlude specific data endings/folders, and we even exclude recyclebin or page/swapfile by default as the description explains on the very first step of the backup job wizard.

And of course there is an ability to say how many backups you want to keep! This one is impossible not to have :wink:

The 1.5 reference was a web site bug, should be fixed by now.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1575 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello diedmatrix,
no multiple jobs that can be configured?? oO I would like to backup a volume level every week and a folder maybe every hour or so
Indeed, only one backup job can be configured. Since the incremental backup size is small the best approach is to backup the entire computer or some volumes on a daily basis. May I ask what folder/data would like to backup every hour?
testing with volume backup showed that in 2h nothing happed on the volume but the backup was 15gb more (incremental I think) than before, that’s impossible, because nothing was happening there
Can you please share the backup log message (or screenshot) – we need to understand what was happing before making any assumptions. By the way you can open a support case any time you feel its needed via Control Panel > Support > Technical Support.
also how many backups should be kept before deleting them, or at which threshold of left free disk space before deleting old backups
You can set the number of days of successful backups you want to keep.
a trigger to start backup if I was missed after the scheduled time
Indeed, there is no such feature but it's coming in 1.5
a trigger to start backup if (usb) storage is attached
We have this option, check this article to properly configure the backup events.
exluding specific data endings/folders, like recyclebin or page/swapfile
Possible too in file-level backup mode: Select Folders to Back Up. Note that Recycle Bin, page files and some other "non-important storage consuming" files are always excluded automatically.
diedmatrix
Novice

Post by diedmatrix »

Hi,

I have to apologize, maybe I was "over motivated" when is was writing and did write down things I already mentioned before but forgot that the were there! >-<

I didn’t meant external storage in general, just triggering backup when external storage is attached, but that’s also there, sorry!

Excluding data is nice, but it would be nice if this could be selected if I don’t want to, for example the recycle bin.

Only one backup job is critical. For example I would like to backup my win partition just every week and my data partition every day and one folder of Firefox with all my tabs (because ff is crashing sometimes) 2 times a day.

Windows is changing/touching many files a day I think, at least I don’t need a daily backup here.

All my very important data is on sep. partition but also on a temp basis, like +10GB a day, which is removed/sorted out short after etc. For my case a diff. backup would be much better, because backing up all the changes from the last incremental backup every day would result in huge incremental backups every day, due to high input output every day, where diff. would be much smaller, because only a much smaller amount of that would be kept on the partition.

I also want to keep more restore point of the past for the data partition (1-180days maybe), as for windows (just 2 restore points)

If I now only have one backup job for win and data partition + I have to do the same plan for both + only incremental job, that would be high effective for me :?

I would also add

testing backup for consistency, if it’s recoverable

Just take a look at the Acronis 2014 Version at implement its options. Lots of them you can hide in the menu if you want to, but for people who know what they want and what to do these a crucial! You have one of the most enterprise backup solutions on the market, so technology is already there, and I think a lot of the features could easily be implemented/snipped out the full version, so make a nice endpoint product and I and hopefully more people will be convinced from your solution - just take a look at some users when acronis was removing good features from 2015 and so on - potential customers.

And I haven’t even mentioned the nonsense purging option of old backups which is absolutely useless. I have to delete the complete backup chain every few weeks due to insufficient space because acronis cannot just delete the oldest incremental/diff backup and add a new one, purges the first full backup and the first incr./diff. IN A NEW FILE which results in a double of needed space! WHAT THE ……?! There is absolutely no need for that…..
Cangoou
Novice
Full Name: Martin Thoma

Post by Cangoou »

Hello. I'm coming from Acronis as well because I'm disappointed from it and it's support and it's update-strategy and... Ok.

I heard so much good about Veeam and it's solutions so I thought to give it a try. I must admit that I was suprised, too, that there is only one backup-job possible in the Endpoint-Backup. I'm doing daily backups on a NAS but a weekly on a USB-Drive (which is not connected the other times - thanks "Locky"). I know that the endpoint backup is free, but I would be willing and eager to pay for such a solution. Is there any chance that this feature will come in future versions?
Anguel
Expert
Liked: 18 times

Post by Anguel » 1 person likes this post

I agree that Veeam Endpoint lacks many features Acronis or Symantec System Recovery have, however the problem is that Acronis and Symantec just don't work reliably.
This is why I switched to Veeam. Of course, I hope that Veeam Endpoint will implement things like multiple jobs and normal incrementals ASAP, maybe as extra features when used in conjunction with their paid VBR?
I bet that Veeam did not expect that so many people will be interested in their physical backup solution. Virtual is nice, but it is for the big companies only - you need to invest in an expensive infrastructure to make it work reliably, and most small businesses cannot afford it. And the way Microsoft charges for virtual OS licenses is just ridiculous these days...
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 » 2 people like this post

When assisting people in these forums I always have to step back and remember that although there may be other companies with separate features that Endpoint is missing today, Veeam will stand behind their Free product with forums that the engineers are active in, free support through the application itself, and every request that is shown to have large customer support and valid reasons for needing them, may just end up on the product road map!

I know this post wont solve any issues today that you are having, but posting great detailed feature requests can only make the future releases better for everyone! :D

Cheers!
VMCE v9
stagnant
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Post by stagnant »

I would just like to add my request for multiple jobs...similar to @diedmatrix's request.

In my scenario, I have an SSD with Windows 10 & Applications. I would like an image of this drive daily. I also have a 3TB disk that includes some critical data like photos, documents and other archive data. I would like to run a file level backup of this data daily and keep a much longer retention period. There is over a terabyte of data on the disk that is easily replaceable (movies, music, game install data). My NAS/CIFS share is a 3TB mirror and I would rather have more historical data than a full image of these replaceable items.

It would also be nice to use a second job to a removable storage target (as @Cangoou mentioned) and store that offsite.

I am definitely not complaining. We all appreciate a free application that works so well. Most scenarios and customer endpoints just need a single image job. In the end, maybe some of these additional features are included in a "Pro" version at a nominal price.