Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pshute
Veteran
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Peter Shute

Intermittent "incorrect user name or password" error

Post by pshute »

Last night's backup of 12 VM's resulted in an error for one server: "Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password".

A few minutes after completion, it ran a retry for that server, which succeeded.What could have caused the error? It's obviously nothing to do with the username or password, or the retry wouldn't have worked.

Also, this is the first retry I've seen, and I found the emails I received confusing. After the first attempt, it emailed me the results, which included the error message above. After the successful retry, I received a [Warning] email containing the results of the successful retry with a green header, and below that, the original report with a red header, which confused me into thinking I was just seeing another report that it had failed.

Can I suggest that emailed reports for retries contain "Retry" in the subjects line? If the original report must be included, perhaps include the text "Original report" above it?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Intermittent "incorrect user name or password" error

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Maybe authentication service was not available for some time, thus the error message above. To get more details need to review the corresponding backup job log.
andyg
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Andy Goldschmidt

Post by andyg »

i also get these popup from time to time.. weird...
-= VMCE v9 certified =-
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Andy, the next time you see it, can you please submit job logs for our support team to review?
spf62
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Fritsch

Post by spf62 »

I get this also, we run about 100 Veeam jobs a night (over 1000 vm's backed up) and at least 5 or 6 come back with this "Warning" Virtual disk configuration change detected, resetting CBT failed Details: Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password. They typically do not do this 2 days in a row. We are running Veeam 9.5 latest update and ESXi 6.0u3
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Steve, have you contacted our support for assistance with this?