Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
staylor1972
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve taylor

Failed to get VSS freeze state (VIX mode)

Post by staylor1972 »

Since upgrading to Veeam 9. We've been having issues with an 2008 SQL server backing up. the job fails with the following error:

Code: Select all

Error: Unfreeze error (over VIX): [Backup job failed.
Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data.
A VSS critical writer has failed. Writer name: [SqlServerWriter]. Class ID: [{a65faa63-5ea8-4ebc-9dbd-a0c4db26912a}]. Instance ID: [{1658c0bc-9342-4a83-b303-daaf5bbc1768}]. Writer's state: [VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_PREPARE_SNAPSHOT]. Error code: [0x800423f4].] 
I've applied the update1 to see if this will fix the issue but no luck. I've got the job logged with support but only seem to be getting 1 email a day from them and haven't had a backup of the server for nearly 2 weeks now.

I've had a search on the forum and a couple of people mentioned about some .dll files that fixed the issue when they were using Veeam 8 - is that still relevant??

regards

Steve

case ID 01740077
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Failed to get VSS freeze state (VIX mode)

Post by foggy »

Steve, you need to check with your support engineer regarding relevance of those fixes.

Have you checked the writer's state using the 'vssadmin list writers' command? Any related messages in the Event Log?
staylor1972
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve taylor

Post by staylor1972 »

Hi Jim

Thanks for the reply. I've checked the VSSadmin list and reset them all so they are reporting back as Stable and No error but when the job runs the sqlServerWriter comes back with an un-retryable error.

I also have the 'WMI Writer' 'IIS Config Writer' and 'IIS Metabase Writer' coming back as waiting for completion but showing no errors.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I'd contact MS regarding the failing writer.