Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Changind dedupe settings

Post by marius roma »

I need to change the dedupe settings for some existing jobs by disabling the check box "Enable inline data deduplication" and selection the "Dedupe friendly" option.
Can this change damage the existing jobs or my ability to restoere data from previous recovery points of the job I change?
Regards
marius
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Changind dedupe settings

Post by veremin »

Can this change damage the existing jobs or my ability to restore data from previous recovery points of the job I change?
Answer for both questions is No.

Just out of curiosity - what kind of dedupe device are you planning to use?

Thanks,
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Post by marius roma »

We are using an HP StoreEasy.
Deduplication is enabled at NAS server level, even if we did not use it in the past.
So we want to change the settings of our jobs to take advantage of NAS deduplication features.
Regards
Marius
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Got it, tweaking compression and deduplication setting should not cause any issues with either existing or new backups and their recoverability. Also, there are several existing threads discussing recommended job settings in case of target repository being dedupe appliance. This thread is just one example; might be worth reviewing. Thanks.
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 168 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Post by emachabert »

Don't mismatch compression setings (dedupe friendly) and dedupe settings (storage optimization).
Using StoreEasy (windows 2012r2), I would recommend not using compression and using LAN storage optimization if you plan to export the backup files to tapes (to maintain a reduced vbk and thus reduce tapes needs). If not exporting to tape you can disable dedupe at veeam level or set it to large file 16TB+.
You could also leverage the new repository setting in v9 ti allow per VM backup file.
Remember to do an active full to apply new dedupe settings.
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Veeam Vanguard 2015 - 2023