Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andy Newton

Network mapping

Post by Andy Newton »

HI,

Quick question that I am hoping somebody can clarify

Production site uses one ip subnet - dr site uses a different one

I want to use network mapping and have set up a test replication job, however when I start up the replicated VM it still as the production IP

Now the manual and all the notes I can find state the replica-ip requires the use of a fail over plan to work correctly, but it does state the same for network mapping. Therefore what I am trying to find out is how I make network mapping work, do I need a fail over plan for this as well, as if I do then it is of no use to me as I want to test the dr manually.

I have considered using the surebackup/ vlab but this is just not the same as an actual test with all vm's on a differ net ip

At present I am considered using the same ip and testing in a physically isolated network as old school dr testing ....

As anyone used network mapping and is it possible to do what I am suggesting or do I need to think again

Thanks in advance for any help
csinetops
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: csinetops

Re: Network mapping

Post by csinetops »

I'd open a case and have them look at your logs. I have used the network remap feature for data center moves VIA replica jobs and planned fail overs,it worked 99% of the time. The few times it didn't work were on old VM's with out of date VMWare tools...

From what you describe you have it setup correctly so it should work.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Re-IP is performed during failover via Veeam B&R (you do not necessarily need a failover plan for that, but simply use the failover command on the replica VM's shortcut menu), so when you start the replica VM manually using vSphere client it doesn't occur.
Andy Newton
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andy Newton

Post by Andy Newton »

Hi

Thanks for the replies

In this case Veeam is being used in a Hyper V environment so not sure if that effects the operation of networking mapping or re-ip - I don't think it does and I have been through the Veeam Hyper V guide which does imply the RE-IP will only work with a fail over plan.

So my question is ... if I use a failover plan and run it ..what does it do to the production VM , does it take it off line, as all I want to do is test the DR failover not actually use it

Any help is appreciated

Thanks yo
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Failover does not affect production VMs (unless it is a planned failover, which shuts the original VMs down for the final changes replication).