Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ftcnet
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Bernard Klatt

Can't reinstall EndPoint.8.0.0.1822 Beta for restore

Post by ftcnet »

Customer workstation was running EndPoint.8.0.0.1822 Beta until a couple days ago. Updated VEB to v1.5, but now we need to recover files from a week ago. VEB 1.5 says it can't restore from backups made with Beta version, so I uninstalled VEB 1.5 and tried to re-install EndPoint.8.0.0.1822 but it hangs on "starting services".

Task Manager, Services shows Veeam EndPoint Backup Service -stopped

right-click Start Service gives "The operation could not be completed. Access is denied." A bit later this message shows:

"Failed to start service 'Veam EndPoint Backup Service'. Click Retry to attempt to start the service again. Click Cancel to continue installation without starting the service."

Cancel to continue.. doesn't help. It just stays in 'not responding' mode.

Tried uninstalling EndPoint.8.0.0.1822, tried power-off, then restart and re-install, but still hangs at "starting services".
Suggestions appreciated.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Can't reinstall EndPoint.8.0.0.1822 Beta for restore

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Bernard,

I'm afraid this is going to be a problem... If the customer still was running the beta until a couple of days ago... We never supported restoring beta backups even with the GA version...

Here is what you can do (or what I would do...). can you deploy a VM somewhere (even on a windows 10 if necessary) with windows 7 SP1 and install only VEB beta in there. Use that VM to do the restore of the necessary files

Thanks

Mike
ftcnet
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Bernard Klatt

Post by ftcnet »

Thanks for the quick reply. Customer found a laptop that still had EndPoint.8.0.0.1822 Beta installed, so we were able to access the folder of interest, but we couldn't find any .ost's. Further search on the forum indicates .ost files don't get backed up. :oops:

I tried installing EndPoint.8.0.0.1822 Beta on my laptop (after uninstalling VEB 1.5), but encounter the same hang at "starting services". Is there a registry edit or VEB uninstaller/clean-up tool that would allow an install of EndPoint.8.0.0.1822 Beta on system that had been running a newer version?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

You are correct that we don't backup OST's. An OST rebuilds itself with the data from the email provider. We do protect PST though...

For your uninstaller... I believe this thread can help you there: veeam-endpoint-backup-f33/installation- ... ml#p133833

NOTE: This is only for the beta version and not for any other version :-)