Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

v9 U1 File to Tape Job Properites Locks Domain Account

Post by rreed »

Afternoon everyone. Just applied v9 U1, hopped back on to have a look around. While checking through the settings of our existing file to tape backup jobs I noticed they all showed 0.0 size in the files and folders. Tried next past the Files and Folder screen, they immediately prompt for credentials. I select my existing credentials and it throws "username or password is incorrect." Same one we've been using, it's not expired, etc. I can scan repositories, normal backup jobs work, application processing and all. The moment I try to view a file to tape job properties, it locks the domain account (4 bad tries).

Anyone else?
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
rreed
Veteran

Re: v9 U1 File to Tape Job Properites Locks Domain Account

Post by rreed »

Tracing it back to my tape backup server, which is handling the files. Looks like if the job points to files on the tape server itself, it's fine. It'll bring up the size, does not lock out the domain account. If I look at the properties for a job in which the tape server is handling files that are on a UNC elsewhere, it locks out the account w/ (4) bad tries.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

But the source workstation passing the credentials is the B&R server. No process ID given though. :D What a fun game of tennis, 7-love. Over to you please, Veeam.

Oops, just found the offending process. Logon process, NtLmSsp on the B&R server. Authentication Package, NTLM. Enjoy.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I'm wondering what is selected as a source of a tape job. Isn't a CIFS share by any chance? Thanks.
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

It is! The local E: of the tape server job works fine, I can look at properties, run it, edit, etc. No problem. All my other tape jobs are pointed to CIFS shares.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Then, kindly, open a support ticket and post its number here.

We're currently working on a hot fix and planning to release on the next week. Once it's available, it will be shared with you by our support team.

Thanks.
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

Thanks Vladimir. #01771117. Hopefully it will be w/in the next week - monthly tape backups are expected to fire up! :D
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I've passed your case ID to the QA team. We're still looking at making a fix available during the next week. Thanks.
alacard
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: WC Jones

Post by alacard »

Same thing here! I was about to beat my head against my desk. Thank goodness I found this forum. Please Please fix this. This is become a real pain :x
alacard
Novice

Post by alacard »

rreed wrote:Afternoon everyone. Just applied v9 U1, hopped back on to have a look around. While checking through the settings of our existing file to tape backup jobs I noticed they all showed 0.0 size in the files and folders. Tried next past the Files and Folder screen, they immediately prompt for credentials. I select my existing credentials and it throws "username or password is incorrect." Same one we've been using, it's not expired, etc. I can scan repositories, normal backup jobs work, application processing and all. The moment I try to view a file to tape job properties, it locks the domain account (4 bad tries).

Anyone else?
Did you have 9 without the update? and did the update cause this to happen? IF so can i roll back to 9 without the update?
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

We were running v9 for some time w/o issue. Applied U1, noticed this right away. I took a snapshot before (B&R server is a VM) but having run a few normal backups since then I'm not sure how easy rolling back would be when a reverted snapshot sees newer backups on the repositories. I was looking forward to some of the fixes in U1. Hopefully the fix comes out soon.

Question Veeam forum admins, how closely do you work w/ the general support team? Reason I ask is because I opened my ticket as requested, and indicated in the ticket that this seems to have appeared after the update, and that y'all here indicated there is a fix coming out soon. Here is the response I got back from support. There almost seems like a disconnect perhaps?

"From reviewing existing issues with the update, I have determined that the issue is likely not due to the update. However if you wish to be included in potential testing cases, I would greatly suggest posting within that thread. Bugfixes are not immediately available as soon as they are created and this incident is extremely recent."
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Question Veeam forum admins, how closely do you work w/ the general support team?
Quite close, I'd say. However we're international company with offices distributed all over across the globe, so, occasional delays in communication are expected.

I've already contacted the support engineer managing your ticket to clarify the situation.
Same thing here! I was about to beat my head against my desk. Thank goodness I found this forum. Please Please fix this. This is become a real pain :x
Could you open your own ticket and reference the case 01771117? You'd be provided with a hot fix, as soon as it's available.

Thanks.
alacard
Novice

Post by alacard » 1 person likes this post

01771963 thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

rreed wrote:Thanks Vladimir. #01771117.
alacard wrote:01771963 thanks
Guys, I've shared the hot fix with the engineers managing your cases.

Anyone experiencing similar problems, please, create your own ticket and refer to either of cases reported above.

Thanks.
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

Aha, looks like it also happens w/ a UNC Windows share, not just CIFS. :? Waiting on our internal change control process to get the hotfix applied...
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed » 1 person likes this post

Hotfix applied, tape jobs are okay now. Back on track, giving it a few days before closing ticket. Well done team.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

We do appreciate you posting back, as according to the plan the hot fix will be included in the next product version. Thanks.