Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jlewis
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Josh Lewis

100% Memory Usage

Post by jlewis »

Several times after the scheduled daily backup, the Veeam.Endpoint.Service.exe process will use up all available system memory and not release it until the service is restarted. This causes the server to slow to a crawl and causes connection issue to an RDS RemoteApp running on the server. The issue started after upgrading to version 1.5.0.306, I am unable to report the issue from within the software, because it will not recognize my email address as registered, even though I receive the validation emails.

Specs:
Server 2008 R2
4 core Xeon
8GB RAM
normal memory usage 25-33%
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: 100% Memory Usage

Post by Dima P. »

Josh,

Please check if this issue persists after server is rebooted? Thanks.
scrossman
Lurker
Full Name: Shaun Crossman

Post by scrossman »

We have the same issue with our 2008 R2 servers (Although ours run with 32GB memory so it takes a week or so to use it all), two servers with the new version all show the same issue. One server with the version previous doesn't show the issue. Our support case for this is 01762495

So far I have been asked to confirm that Anti-Virus exceptions are in places and also to decrease the max memory the SQL service can use. Neither have had any effect, neither did rebooting.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Shaun,

Same question - did you reboot your servers after upgrading VEB to version 1.5? Thanks.
lucvdv
Lurker
Full Name: Luc Van der Veken

Post by lucvdv »

Hi Dmitry,

My daily workstation, Windows 10 with the same version of VEEAM Endpoint Backup (1.5.0.306, its update tab tells me it is still up to date), is starting to exhibit this problem too. Looking at the age of this thread and the fact that Veeam is set to automatically check for updates, I suppose I have been using 1.5.0.306 for months without a problem.

I normally log out each night, but leave the machine powered on so I can log in from home in case of emergency.

The problem only started occurring about a week, maybe a few weeks ago, at first almost unnoticed, and appears to gradually get worse by the day until I either reboot or restart the endpoint service.
Yesterday it reached a point where it began to make Windows unstable: 8GB RAM, and the pagefile had grown to 20 GB. The system ran out of memory when I opened an Excel file. The file was large (2 GB), but it posed no problem when I created it a day before.

After restarting the endpoint service, everything returned to normal. This morning I checked and found high memory use of the endpoint service again, although not yet to the same degree as yesterday. RAM and pagefile use are currently resp about 4.0 and 3.5 GB, with only my browser (Chrome) open as a user application.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi lucvdv,

Kindly, open a support case for this issue and share the case ID. If possible, test the newly released Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0 BETA on the same machine. It has lost of improvements implemented, so worth checking.