Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
VeaamGuy
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Rushad Irani

System unresponsive during 1st backup

Post by VeaamGuy »

Hi,
Am quite impressed with Veeam endpoint backup. The value it has as a free product is amazing.

One small glitch we noticed though. My colleague installed Endpoint and ran the backup, since the laptop is connected to an IP phone its limited to a 100MB network and was affecting her ability to use the laptop. I on the other hand am not using an IP phone so get the 1GB speed and hence did not notice and issues at all.
I can see that Veeam does have a throttling option but its just a tick box and isn't not quite elaborate. Previous products we used like shadow protect would let us specify the exact max percentage of resources the backup job was allowed to use. Is this something that will be released in a future version?

PS Wasn't able to raise an email ticket through the app as smtp ports are blocked in our environment.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: System unresponsive during 1st backup

Post by Dima P. »

Rushad,
I can see that Veeam does have a throttling option but its just a tick box
Being enabled - throttling option change the priory of all VEB processes to ‘Background’ (lowest priority in the OS) and let the operating system handle the process scheduling.
VeaamGuy
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Rushad Irani

Re: System unresponsive during 1st backup

Post by VeaamGuy »

Hi Dima,
Dima P. wrote:Rushad,

Being enabled - throttling option change the priory of all VEB processes to ‘Background’ (lowest priority in the OS) and let the operating system handle the process scheduling.
So no further planned changes/improvements on this one I am guessing. Reason for asking is because the way the current option works isn't effective in our case.

Hoping this is an isolated issue as we have just started using it recently and are quite happy with it otherwise.