Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
kjparker
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Keith Parker

VEB to Veeam repository

Post by kjparker »

I am trying to setup a routine backup of a number of clients in our remote office in another state. I have a wan VPN connection to this site, and they would be able to connect to our Veeam infrastructure in the head office, however I do not wish to be pushing their backup data across the wan at this time.

I have a server in this office that I can configure as a repository on my veeam server in head office, however I do not know how this will behave with regards to data transfer. The remote repository will be on the same physical lan as the clients being backed up.

Will the clients connect directly to this location, and not send the data to the wan and back, or will it all go through the main veeam server?

Other than backing up to a file share, is there any other options to achieve what I am looking for?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: VEB to Veeam repository

Post by Dima P. »

Keith,

Can you elaborate what type of repository you set at the remote site? Thanks.
kjparker
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Keith Parker

Post by kjparker »

I have not as yet created the repository, however I was going to use my veeam server in head office to add an additional repository on it, located on the remote server, which I would in turn configure the VEB clients to use.

Is there a particular type of repository I should be using?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

You can use any type of repository. Just in case you set up a CIFS share do not forget that Gateway server should be locaded on the second site – otherwise the traffic will flow thru the VBR server (which is set as default gateway server for CIFS repo).