Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
TechnicGeek
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Backup Policy Based on a Number of Backups?

Post by TechnicGeek »

Hello,

I wanted to remove some of incremental backups because space is limited and I have many getting backed up throughout the month. I later learned that removing either one of incrementals or base backup would break the chain and I will not be able to restore when required. However here's the reply to question I found by staff:
If I was to backup ONLY the VBK and VBM file to tape, would this be enough to recover the VM in the event of a disaster? Is it necessary to have the VRB files as well?
No, .vbk file will be enough for recovering VM from it, should any disaster happen.
So I can still remove incrementals and restoration will work, provided base backup is not removed of course?

It would be good to have backup policy option for based on a desired quantity of backups rather than time period. Is this option planned for release?

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup Policy Based on a Number of Backups?

Post by Shestakov »

Hello TechnicGeek and welcome to the community!
TechnicGeek wrote:So I can still remove incrementals and restoration will work, provided base backup is not removed of course?
Restoration will work, but from 1 restore point only(the day when the .vbk was created). If you want to restore from time when incremental backups were created - don`t delete them.
TechnicGeek wrote:It would be good to have backup policy option for based on a desired quantity of backups rather than time period. Is this option planned for release?
Thanks for the feedback!
TechnicGeek
Influencer

Post by TechnicGeek »

Shestakov wrote:Restoration will work, but from 1 restore point only(the day when the .vbk was created). If you want to restore from time when incremental backups were created - don`t delete them.
Does deleting only the latest incremental still break the chain? If I backed up last week and decided that there were no new changes or changes worthy of backing up since last incremental, can I delete last incremental and still expect all previous incrementals to work when restoring?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Yes, if you delete the last backup, older once will work, but you may have problems with next backups since the information about the file you are going to delete will remain in database and the next job run will create Full backup.
By the way, why do you want to delete the increment?
TechnicGeek
Influencer

Post by TechnicGeek »

Shestakov wrote:Yes, if you delete the last backup, older once will work, but you may have problems with next backups since the information about the file you are going to delete will remain in database and the next job run will create Full backup.
By the way, why do you want to delete the increment?
I mentioned that in previous question. I want flexibility in managing backups due to external hard drive space limitation that I use to backup data. For risk management I also do backups with other software.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

If you have a lack of repository space, deleting the last increment is not the best solution, I would recommend to decrease the retention instead
TechnicGeek
Influencer

Post by TechnicGeek »

With retention of incrementals, is incremental deleted only when new incremental is about to be created or as long as Veeam runs in the background and detects external hard drive plugged in?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Israel,

Merge of the incremental restore point into full backup is performed at the end of backup job. Kindly, take a look at Backup Retention Policy Help Center article for more details.

If you are using the USB device as a target, you might be interested in the Backup to Rotated Drives functionality in conjunction with 'When backup target is connected' backup event.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Yes, the oldest restore point will be deleted only when new one is created with no errors. So in fact you need space for an additional increment.
TechnicGeek
Influencer

Post by TechnicGeek »

Shestakov wrote:Yes, the oldest restore point will be deleted only when new one is created with no errors. So in fact you need space for an additional increment.
I have backups backdating to the middle of May and they are not being deleted, despite 14-day retention policy:

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

TechnicGeek,

According to the recovery wizard screenshot you have less than 14 restore points in your backup chain. Is that correct?
TechnicGeek
Influencer

Post by TechnicGeek »

Correct.

BTW who is Israel?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

If the number of restore points on disk is less than job’s retention restore points won’t be merged into full backup. To make sure we are on the same page regarding retention logic, kindly, take a loot at this Help Center article.

My bad - I copied your name from account details but did not realize you specified only your location. Sorry about that.
TechnicGeek
Influencer

Post by TechnicGeek »

Retention policy is not measured in a number of restore points. It is measured in a number of days, which in this case is no more than 14.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Correct. VEB takes into account not calendar days but days on which backup files were successfully created.
TechnicGeek
Influencer

Post by TechnicGeek »

Dima P. wrote:Correct. VEB takes into account not calendar days but days on which backup files were successfully created.
That clears it up. Do you plan on adding calendar days retention policy or number of backups retention policy?
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

I am curious what your use case is for calendar days over successful backups? For me I would rather know how many backups I have rather than what day the job was run. Number of backups retention policy, I believe that is a different way of saying what VEB already does. It counts the number of successful backups against the retention policy to know when to start removing old ones.

Cheers!
VMCE v9
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Number of backups should be a perfect fit if you're backing up a server or any mission critical application.
janezk
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Janez K

Post by janezk »

Dima P. wrote:Correct. VEB takes into account not calendar days but days on which backup files were successfully created.

This terminology in use by Veeam, is not among the best or luckiest choises. I also had to think twice and do some googling before i understood what they reaaly ment...
Would be better to use the same terminology, that we are used to in VBR...

BR Janez
TechnicGeek
Influencer

Post by TechnicGeek »

Dima P. wrote:If the number of restore points on disk is less than job’s retention restore points won’t be merged into full backup. To make sure we are on the same page regarding retention logic, kindly, take a loot at this Help Center article.
It didn't remove in my case later as I found. I had 1 original + 14 incrementals and even changed number of days of backup policy from 14 to 8. Don't know if making this change is applicable in the process but it didn't make the difference.

I was expecting main backup integrate obsolete backups after deleting them if they outside of policy threshold but it wasn't happening. FYI - I deleted 5 incrementals and what happened was that new main backup file created in addition to one original. The last incremental was in August and recent backup was done at the end of October. The backup has a size of almost same as original backup. I thought there should only be 1 original backup, modified as time goes, integrating obsolete backups into itself. I also used "Backup to Rotated Drives" feature additionally. I would make "Standalone Full Backup" once per month on different external drive. Does this sound like it's a bug? What if this confused VEEAM's retention policy as I was switching between?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Don't know if making this change is applicable in the process but it didn't make the difference.
Retention is applied at the end of backup job run, so to force the immediate merge you should start a backup job
I deleted 5 incrementals and what happened was that new main backup file created in addition to one original.
That is expected. You deleted the latest incrementals manually but metadata and backup database were not update. Job started a health check and thought that backup chain was corrupted, thus made a new full backup.