Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Matze
Novice
Liked: never

Feature request - exclude directories from backup

Post by Matze »

As I discovered, at the moment are only file exclusions possible. It would be more helpful, if I could exclude whole directory structures from backup.
For example, if I backup my user home, I'm not interested on all the directories which including cache data or downloads or all the files I put temporary on my desktop. So my filter settings on FreeFileSync (which I used before to backup my Laptop data) looks like:
\$Recycle.Bin\
*\thumbs.db
\Desktop\*
\Downloads\*
*\Temporary Internet Files\*
\AppData\Local\Temp\*
\Temp\*
so with creating an entry like "\Desktop\*", I don't exclude this directory but only the content.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature request - exclude directories from backup

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and Welcome to Veeam Community,

You could manually exclude any directory by going to file level backup mode and unchecking the annoying folder, if you do so while keeping the volume checked – the backup will still be running in the volume mode. The pre-defined exclusions are in construction, so thank you for sharing your personal filter list – we will discuss it with the team.
Matze
Novice

Post by Matze »

Hello and thank you for the welcome.

I already found the option to deselect manually some folders and/or files in file level backup mode, but thank you for the tip. Anyway, sometimes it's easier to predefine some types of folders, like "temp" or "cache". This way I have not to edit the configuration, every time I install a new software on my computer.

On the weekend I had the specific problem, that my backups was several gigabyte larger than expected. I discovered that I had backed up my whole Lightroom cache folder (which makes no sense), which I reinstalled earlier... :wink:
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

This way I have not to edit the configuration, every time I install a new software on my computer.
That is the exact reason we are enhancing the default exclusions. Thanks again!
cortine
Lurker
Full Name: cortine

Post by cortine »

1.5 years have passed.
Have you implemented this feature due to "exact reason we are enhancing the default exclusions"?

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi cortine,

Since GA version you can exclude/include the file or folder via the same control you posted. Check this Help Center article to learn more.
cortine
Lurker
Full Name: cortine

Post by cortine »

Dima P. wrote:Hi cortine,

Since GA version you can exclude/include the file or folder via the same control you posted. Check this Help Center article to learn more.
Thank you for answering.
Is it a joke or a trolling?

I have the same question as OP asked - how to exclude directories by mask?
Matze wrote:This way I have not to edit the configuration, every time I install a new software on my computer.
Dima P. wrote:That is the exact reason we are enhancing the default exclusions. Thanks again!
I have tens of directories and I want to exclude subdirectories like .hg, .git, .svn and so on from backup. I can't set it manually because it requires many clicks and attention. And because I might not remember to exclude such subdirectory from newly created directory because I'm a man and not robot and may forget to do this.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

cortine,

I was referring to exclude option in conjunction with file masks. Excluding folders by a mask is, indeed, not currently possible. Thanks for sharing your personal use case!
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 65 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Post by RubinCompServ »

We're two years later and this still can't be done from the Agents or VAC (except via "File Level Backup (Slower)").
rolflobker
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Rolf Lobker

Post by rolflobker » 1 person likes this post

*BUMP*

I have a customer, who has 1 folder I want to exclude.
We are a VCSP and use VAC to manage the Agent.
Therefore we cannot select individual folders (checkbox) but have to manually add all folder paths.

In the folders to backup, this customer has 1 folder we would like to exclude.

Even if we could use checkboxes for folders, if the customer adds new (root) folders they would also be excluded because they are not manually checked.

An option to use absolute paths in the Exclusion filter would be extremely helpful (!)

Currently I can add all the folders, except for the one we want to exclude.
But if another folders would be added to the root, it would also get excluded without us knowing about it.

Example

F:\Folders\Folder_A
F:\Folders\Folder_B
F:\Folders\Folder_C\1
F:\Folders\Folder_C\2
F:\Folders\Folder_C\3
F:\Folders\Folder_D
F:\Folders\Folder_E

We would like to exclude F:\Folders\Folder_C\2
But if we add F:\Folders\Folder_C\1 and F:\Folders\Folder_C\3 manually, we also have to add all other folders like F:\Folders\Folder_A, F:\Folders\Folder_B, F:\Folders\Folder_D and F:\Folders\Folder_E

And if the customer adds F:\Folders\Folder_C\4 this would still get excluded because it's not specified in the included paths
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

RubinCompServ wrote:We're two years later and this still can't be done from the Agents or VAC (except via "File Level Backup (Slower)").
It's still not possible to specify the path via Exclude mask but you can do that via UI by unchecking the folder. Can you please elaborate why such approach is not working in your case?

rolflobker wrote:We are a VCSP and use VAC to manage the Agent.
Therefore we cannot select individual folders (checkbox) but have to manually add all folder paths.
That sounds like a request for VAC, I've passed your feedback to the corresponding team.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

rolflobker wrote:Even if we could use checkboxes for folders, if the customer adds new (root) folders they would also be excluded because they are not manually checked.

An option to use absolute paths in the Exclusion filter would be extremely helpful (!)
Dima P. wrote:That sounds like a request for VAC, I've passed your feedback to the corresponding team.
Feedback received ;)
rolflobker
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Rolf Lobker

Post by rolflobker »

Dima, as you followed up on; this is;

A) not a feature in VAC

But also, and I believe this is very importantl

B) This is NOT an Exclusion, this is merely including specific folders

See my previous post for an example of a situation where "excluding" 1 folder this way, may lead to lots of data being excluded in the future if new folders are being added.

Edit: in your example; look at the volume D to be backed up, now image someone adds a few new folders in volume D:
Those would not be checked, thus also would not be backed up.
Therefor in the screenshot you posted there is no mention of exclusion but the text says 'which folder do you want to back up'
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

I got your use case, and I do see how path exclusion will work for your customer (basically a way to automate content selection in case it's being changed). Thank you!