Feature request - exclude directories from backup

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Feature request - exclude directories from backup

Veeam Logoby Matze » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:40 am

As I discovered, at the moment are only file exclusions possible. It would be more helpful, if I could exclude whole directory structures from backup.
For example, if I backup my user home, I'm not interested on all the directories which including cache data or downloads or all the files I put temporary on my desktop. So my filter settings on FreeFileSync (which I used before to backup my Laptop data) looks like:

\$Recycle.Bin\
*\thumbs.db
\Desktop\*
\Downloads\*
*\Temporary Internet Files\*
\AppData\Local\Temp\*
\Temp\*

so with creating an entry like "\Desktop\*", I don't exclude this directory but only the content.
Matze
Novice

Liked: never

Re: Feature request - exclude directories from backup

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:00 pm

Hello and Welcome to Veeam Community,

You could manually exclude any directory by going to file level backup mode and unchecking the annoying folder, if you do so while keeping the volume checked – the backup will still be running in the volume mode. The pre-defined exclusions are in construction, so thank you for sharing your personal filter list – we will discuss it with the team.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby Matze » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:38 pm

Hello and thank you for the welcome.

I already found the option to deselect manually some folders and/or files in file level backup mode, but thank you for the tip. Anyway, sometimes it's easier to predefine some types of folders, like "temp" or "cache". This way I have not to edit the configuration, every time I install a new software on my computer.

On the weekend I had the specific problem, that my backups was several gigabyte larger than expected. I discovered that I had backed up my whole Lightroom cache folder (which makes no sense), which I reinstalled earlier... :wink:
Matze
Novice

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:43 pm

This way I have not to edit the configuration, every time I install a new software on my computer.

That is the exact reason we are enhancing the default exclusions. Thanks again!
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby cortine » Fri May 20, 2016 9:11 pm

1.5 years have passed.
Have you implemented this feature due to "exact reason we are enhancing the default exclusions"?

cortine
Lurker

Full Name: cortine

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun May 22, 2016 4:46 pm

Hi cortine,

Since GA version you can exclude/include the file or folder via the same control you posted. Check this Help Center article to learn more.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby cortine » Sun May 22, 2016 6:26 pm

Dima P. wrote:Hi cortine,

Since GA version you can exclude/include the file or folder via the same control you posted. Check this Help Center article to learn more.

Thank you for answering.
Is it a joke or a trolling?

I have the same question as OP asked - how to exclude directories by mask?

Matze wrote:This way I have not to edit the configuration, every time I install a new software on my computer.

Dima P. wrote:That is the exact reason we are enhancing the default exclusions. Thanks again!

I have tens of directories and I want to exclude subdirectories like .hg, .git, .svn and so on from backup. I can't set it manually because it requires many clicks and attention. And because I might not remember to exclude such subdirectory from newly created directory because I'm a man and not robot and may forget to do this.
cortine
Lurker

Full Name: cortine

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue May 24, 2016 1:44 pm

cortine,

I was referring to exclude option in conjunction with file masks. Excluding folders by a mask is, indeed, not currently possible. Thanks for sharing your personal use case!
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows