Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
donald.bartlett
Novice
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Donald Bartlett

Hyper-V Host Disk - No Data Available

Post by donald.bartlett » 1 person likes this post

Hi Guys,

I spent a few hours going through the forums to find solutions, however none fit my situation.

Currently running VeeamONE v9 update 1 with the following setup:
Currently Running FREE license due to awaiting pricing from local reseller and in the process of POC to get approval for systems.
(Current symptoms experienced is hampering this process)

2x Hyper-V hosts with a number of VM's running on them. (1x PROD 1x UAT)
1x Monitoring server with VeeamONE installed.
All Servers in the same domain.
All Servers running 2012 R2

Symptoms:
No Data Available displayed on DISK view on PROD HOST - ONLY this host displays this.
All Other DISK views show information (i.e. on UAT Host as well as all VM's on BOTH Hosts)
No Error reported.
No Alarms (in the logs there are a few alarms when topology data etc. cannot be collected, but is rectified later = therefore unrelated to actual issue)
Initially there was information on this tab when selecting Past Day etc. but on the timeline at the bottom, one could see that the date/time was in the past

Troubleshooting attempted:
Restarting perfmon and pla on Prod Host
Rebuilding performance data counters and re-sync as per article: https://www.veeam.com/kb1738
Restarting VeeamONE monitor service on Monitoring Server
Removing VM Host from Monitor and Re-Adding it again

Please advise if anything has been missed or if there is a patch/update etc. that is required.

Appreciate the assist.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Hyper-V Host Disk - No Data Available

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Donald and welcome to the community!
Do you use CSV/SMB shares? Do you see host`s disk performance in performance monitor on the host itself?
Thanks!
donald.bartlett
Novice

Post by donald.bartlett »

Hi there,

Thanks very much.

No - CSV/SMB shares are not used - Datastore is configured on Hosts internal storage.

Yes - I am able to see the disk performance within the PERFMON interface, however I do have to go add the counter to the view.

I have also confirmed that the counters are available by running the script as mentioned in Step 2 of the link in my original post.

It is a very strange scenario indeed.....
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the reply.
If perfmon on the host shows the performance, next troubleshooting step is to check if perfmon shows the same results on the machine where Veeam ONE server is installed. Could you try to collect the hyper-v host data from that machine?
By the way you can contact Veeam technical support to get immediate assistance.
donald.bartlett
Novice

Post by donald.bartlett » 1 person likes this post

Hi there,

Thanks for that - I checked on Perfmon on the monitorin server and the PhysicalDisk of the remote PC is the only counter that does not appear on the list to add.

Troubleshooting this indicates the same symptoms though. Running "lodctr /q" at an elevated prompt indicates that all counters are enabled.

Followed the steps on this article to fix, as it seemed the most fitting/similar scenario: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... g.80).aspx
The first 2 steps did not work and step 3 states the following:
If following this Knowledge Base article does not solve the issue, you will have to reinstall the Windows operating system in the Repair mode, and then apply the latest Windows service packs.
I am not keen on this approach as it is a PROD Host.

Further investigation brought me to this article: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... Management

Here the resolution was:
We were able to resolve this by performing a winmgmt /resyncperf followed by a server restart in order to force rebuild everything in WMI. The counters/instances were all present as evidenced by the fact that everything was visible when on the local server, however WMI was not handling them correctly.
This in fact was part of my initial troubleshooting steps, as per the link in original post. It seems that I will have to arrange down-time of the server for a reboot to get this counter back into the monitor.

So all roads lead to reboot - which if that does not fix, then a repair installation - which is not an acceptable step in my instance. :shock:

Last question regarding this - I found another topic (monitoring-f5/no-data-available-in-past ... 29016.html)with similar symptoms, where the fix was related to:
Veeam support asked me to replace RemotePerformanceMonitor.dll. Now this issue is solved.
Now this would be for all the counters - and I only have the issue with physical disk.

I will perhaps contact technical support directly and point them to this topic for all relevant information.
Thanks for your assist to this point. :D
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the detailed post, Donald.
However looks like the first provided link doesn`t work. have you meant this TechNet article?
In my own experience I had similar issue with another counter which had been solved by the hypervisor reboot. But it was not a production site so I understand you want to check all possible options first.
You may also contact Microsoft support team to find out why perfmon in the remote machine doesn`t show a particular metric.
donald.bartlett
Novice

Post by donald.bartlett »

Hi there,

No problem - is best to include as much info to help the next person with the same issue.

Yes - sorry for broken link, I did not pick that up. :oops: That is the correct article which you linked.

I am currently desensitising the logs to remove hostname/IP info - then will conclude the process of opening a case with Veeam Support.

I will escalate to MS if necessary.

Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Please provide your support case number once you get it from the Veeam support team.
So we can follow the investigation.
Thanks!
donald.bartlett
Novice

Post by donald.bartlett » 2 people like this post

Hi There,

Veeam Support - Case # 01809664

Will also revert here once received feedback.

Thanks again.